Sew Reporter – 23rd of May
Happy Sunday sewists! What are you up to today? Whatever it is, first grab yourself a hot cuppa and some delicious snacks, sit back, relax, and enjoy this week’s Sew Reporter. It’s filled to the brim with good stuff such as new patterns (we welcomed Vikisews to the shop!), and things to watch, listen, and read. But, as always, we will start with some stunning maker inspiration from the sewing community. Enjoy!
Montoya Mayo looks like a ray of sunshine in her maxi length Sicily Slip Dress by Sewing Patterns by Masin. We are obsessed with this look!
Amy from Almond Rock stitched a super cute Sew Over It Libby Shirt. The pretty buttons and amazing coral fabric go really well together, we can imagine that this will be a summer wardrobe staple..
Brittany J. Jones made the latest pattern by Mimi G for Simplicity – S9261 – and she looks fabulous! Go check out her blog for more photos and a YouTube video with a little sewalong.
Meg at Megmade Sewing added an extra layer of ruffles to her Chalk & Notch Farrah Blouse and we are here for it!
This Style Arc Hope Woven Dress looks so beautiful and comfy. We absolutely love this look on Vicky from Sewstainability.
Emily aka Self Assembly Required was inspired by a ready to wear dress and decided to re-create the look with the Nina Lee Park Lane Dress. We have two words: NAILED IT!
All the heart eyes for this fab-u-lous palm leaf print dress with cut outs. Mimi G sewed McCalls 8175 and you’re going to want to check out her blog for the photos of the back of this outfit…
Beck from I Sew, Therefore I Am sewed the Fibre Mood Alix Skirt in a gorgeous navy linen check, and she paired it with a LB Pullover by Paper Theory Patterns.
We are in love with this wonderful zero waste top by Fiona aka Diary Of A Chainstitcher. She used the ZW Gather Dress by Birgitta Helmersson and hacked it into a top.
Seeing this summery Paper Theory Patterns Zadie playsuit by @belle_citadel made us realise we are still very much in love with Zadie and we need to make another one STAT!
This is what Wavenie @waveniej had to say about her Fibre Mood Paris top: “I so love everything about this cute romantic Paris top – puffed sleeves, frills, and wrap neckline!” and we couldn’t agree with her more! Go check out Wavenie’s pattern review on our site.
Next to the stunning Vikisews patterns that we have added to the shop this week, we have also added two cute dresses and the most adorable kids dungaree dress. See our faves below, and browse all new patterns on our site.
Do you already have a specific design in mind? Or do you need some help finding the perfect pattern for your fabric? You can search all the patterns in our database using our newly updated sewing-specific search tool.
- Watching The Sew Down with Kate feels like catching up with a sewing pal! She brings you a run down of some of the interesting stuff we have found, bought, read and watched in the world of sewing.
- It was Reduce, Reuse, Recycle week on the Sewing Bee. They sure did make amazing things this week! If you are inspired to sew any of the looks of episode 6, go check out our pattern picks.
- Have you already watched Halston on Netflix? This is quite an interesting article on How Ewan McGregor learned to sew, drape and pin to play Halston.
- A very useful tutorial from Tilly and the Buttons: How to add in-seam pockets to a skirt, dress, or trousers – including a free pocket pattern!
- We were guests on the Sew Organised Style Podcast! We loved chatting everything Sewing Weekender with Maria and Charlotte, so definitely go give this a listen. Plus, Maria will also be sharing more Sewing Weekender episodes in the run up to the event too so keep an eye out for more episodes.
- This week Juliet, Atia and Alice from the un:CUT podcast were joined by Judith and Sandy from Sew Over 50 to discuss ageism in the craft industry. Sandy and Judith share all about the work they’re doing online to challenge the lack of visibility of sewists over the age of 50 in the crafting community, marketing, in magazines and on social media.
I like big collars and I cannot lie! The Bakerloo Blouse and Dress pattern by Nina Lee is just perfect if you want to join the current ‘oversized collar trend’. As always, we love seeing what you make and these blouses are just amazing. Would you make the blouse or dress version? Click on the photo for the pattern review and learn more about the pattern here.
Oh la la… This colourful leopard print Deer & Doe Myosotis dress is right up our street! We really enjoy following Esther @ninetostitch as she is a massive colour lover, often sews with bold prints, and she’s not afraid to stand out from the crowd. We would steal her whole wardrobe if we could! Go browse her handmade wardrobe and give her a follow on Instagram.
We are VERY excited to announce that we are the first to offer patterns from Vikisews (a Russian brand who design fab-u-lous dressmaking patterns) with English instructions in our shop! The patterns are drafted in different size bands and for different heights. So far 20 designs are translated into English, but they have plans to release more. Browse them all in our shop!
Come and join our sewing Facebook group where we are chatting about sewing plans, new patterns and helping each other out with projects.