Versatile, Comfy and Fun

A review of Paper Theory Patterns Zadie Jumpsuit

Reviewed by making pretty patterns on 20th May, 2019

I may not look to out of place if I were to meet up with the red arrows this summer! This my new red linen Zadie Jumpuit from Paper Theory Patterns.
It was an impulse, must make asap ,that kept my awake the night before with excitement. Does anyone else suffer with SRI Syndrome!? Aka sewing related insomnia!
In order to proceed with the project, the fabric was also a last-minute buy from my local fabric shop. There was a selection of linen, some more floppity than others. I chose this for its rich colour and the slight sheen and crispness of the linen. Most I had seen for inspiration on Instagram are made from linen or blends and so I was confident it would work.
I made a size 11 by cutting the pattern pieces right between the 10 and 12 sizes, but as always with a new pattern wasn’t really sure what I should go for. There is finished measurements chart which is so useful if you can envisage what that looks like in your size! I often make clothes a bit too big and this was no exception. The bum turned out quite baggy and the crotch a bit too low, so I scooped out about 2 inches from under the crotch seam all the way up the back and on to the bodice, making a further pleat that I think blends in well as the there are two others either side. This also meant I took a bit off the waist. So next time I will size down.
I didn’t have any bother putting it all together. The instructions are excellent. Very clear. I was a little confused what exactly was going to happen on the neck line as I read some had swapped binding for facing. Then I noted that the binding is fixed so that it is visible, not turned in, as I originally had assumed. Therefore, I felt that despite my fairly bulky fabric that it would work well. I also had concerns that I wouldn’t be neat enough, but I took it very slowly. I did not use the method given in the instructions. I sewed the binding right sides together with the front openings, and then after pressing, turned it in and top stitched from the right side, catching the binding underneath. It was so successful that I decided to finish the armholes in the same way.
I will be making more, but I wont be wearing this to any air shows this summer!