Tropical Charlianne Wrap Dress

A review of CharliAnne Wrap Dress

Avatar

Reviewed by girlswear on 24th June, 2019

I was in love with this pattern ever since I saw it on one of The Fold Line’s new pattern release post. I’ve never made anything from Sew to Grow. The pattern only provided one measurement but wasn’t sure if it’s the actual body or finished size, nevertheless, the sizes came in from XS to 4XL. I cut a M according to the patterns measurement, no alterations other than some of the methods.

The fabric is a lovely soft cotton wax print from Middlesex Textile’s sale. The fabric was a dream to work with, £10 for 5 yards, can’t ask for more! Having some Vilene bias stay tape helped to stable the neck line, I bought mine from Minerva Crafts.

The make was quite easy overall, had to make bias-tape. It’s always a bit of a faff to make them but forgot how handy bias bindings are! If you haven’t made them before, you should. This is a good pattern to use it. I didn’t follow the pattern’s method of making the bias tape, I use the continuous method. I also changed the waist ties, I cut as the pattern suggested, I the fold in half, sew 1/4” all around 3 sides then used a loop turner to turn out.

The results — the bodice is a bit baggy despite, I was on the higher range of the suggested size on the bust. There weren’t many reviews out there on this dress so wasn’t sure how others find the sizing. It seemed okay when I was trying it on during sewing, when I tried it on again after bias binding, it turned out a bit too big on the bodice but it was too late, I wasn’t going to rip and re-pin my bias binding as that took ages. I added a snap button as the front closure. The bodice also seemed to be a bit too long for my 5’4” short-torso frame. I’d shorten the bodice 3/4” to 1” next time, however, the pattern didn’t indicate where to shorten on the bodice. I was also fear that the dress might be too long, it turned out okay, a long maxi with more drama or if I’m wearing espadrilles it’ll be perfect. I might shorten it by 3” next time. Make a toile people!!! Hard lesson learnt here.

Overall, happy with the dress, apart from the bodice being a bit baggy, I have to wrap it quite tight and add some snaps for front closure. I wish the pattern would have both body and finished measurement, that’s usually easier to gage when you have both. Otherwise, this pattern would have been 5 stars for me.