A review of Mélilot Shirt
I’ve made version B (mandarin collar, with short sleeves) without pockets. I made size 42 at the bust and waist, graded to a 40 at the hip, lowered the bust darts and honestly can’t remember if I did a sway back or not :S I’m afraid I went a bit too far with lowering the bust darts…
I like the clean, simple look of the shirt, yet I’m not yet sold on the drop shoulder style. I love the dipped hem at the back, but it was a true hassle to sew a rolled hem. The pattern advises you to hem it before seaming the sides, yet being the opinionated sewist I am I hemmed after sewing the side seams, because I thought it would look neater, maybe I’ll try the pattern recommendation or use bias tape for my next attempt. This was my first time using a Deer and doe pattern with this (now not so much) new layout and look, and I’m sad to say I was disappointed.
The instructions are way much more abbreviated than on the patterns I’ve used before and I even found an error on the English instructions for sewing the hidden placket and had to use my poor rusty French to figure out what to do. So if you’ve never sewn a shirt before, I wouldn’t recommend you use this pattern. https://umacrafterportuguesacomcerteza.wordpress.com/2017/08/30/projectos-de-agosto-pt1-august-makes-1st-part/