Hacking the Farrah Dress into a blouse for everyday wear

A review of Fibre Mood Edition 21

Reviewed by thefoldline on 21st September, 2022

I can’t resist an interesting sleeve detail so the Farrah Dress was the first pattern I wanted to make from Fibre Mood magazine edition 21. It might not be obvious from the model photos for this sewing pattern but the sleeve has a pleat at the top and the dart at the sleeve hem gives an angular shape. For me, I knew the shape of the dress wouldn’t be quite right, so I opted to hack it into a blouse. I’m so glad I did as i’ll be able to get more wear out of the blouse as it pairs well with jeans. 

Pattern hack

I made a size M and changed the front and back bodice pieces to create a blouse. First I straightened the side seams of the front and back bodice pieces to reduce the a-line shape. I then slashed across the back bodice piece to create the yoke as I think this gives a nicer finish. I did this approximately one-third down the length of the arms eye from the shoulder. I added on 1cm seam allowance to the back yoke and lower back bodice pieces at the seam. Next I added three inches to the lower back bodice piece at the centre back (on the fold). This was gathered into the yoke pieces. I also curved the hem of the front and back bodice to make it feel more like a blouse. 

Supplies

I used a khaki green rayon from stash with seven green buttons from Merchant and Mills. I did French seams throughout for a nicer finish apart from the sleeve hem dart, where I overlocked the seam. 

Instructions

I found the instructions to be easy to follow but as this has a button front I wouldn’t recommend it for a beginner. Fibre Mood instructions are simple with digital images to accompany each step. Some sewing knowledge is assumed, for example at step 7 it would be helpful if the instructions advised sewing gathering stitches along the sleeve head to help ease in the extra fabric. The pattern is made easier in that it doesn’t have a collar stand and therefore the collar works well with a drapey fabric. 

The only problem I had was matching up the front and back notches on the sleeve piece with the front/back bodice pieces (they seemed to be out by about 1cm but it didn’t affect sewing up the garment). I would recommend marking the front side of your sleeve pieces if the fabric doesn’t have an obvious wrong or right side as this helps to make sure you fold the pleat in the correct direction. 

Overall I’m really pieces with how this project turned out and the blouse fits in well to my everyday handmade wardrobe.