Forget me not delight
A review of Myosotis Dress
When Deer and Doe first released this pattern and lots of lovely diaphanous summer dresses started appearing on Instagram I thought “lovely but not for me”.
It was only when I was generously given two metres of a viscose twill, on a black ground with a bamboo design, as part of the Kittenish Behaviour summer pattern swap, that I started to consider that this pattern would show off the fabric.
Due to my bust size, I needed to make the largest size available on the paper pattern and I was concerned that the stated fabric allowance was a full metre more than I had. However with some clever pattern Tetris it fitted.
The instructions were clear and I used French seams throughout to give a neat finish. The instructions for attaching the collar were great and it certainly made sense to stitch the buttonholes before proceeding to the sleeves or skirt.
Talking of the sleeves, I rushed ahead and wished that I had attached the frill flat, before sewing the underarm seam. Even so, by quartering the sleeve and the frill it was not too difficult to do. I found that I had to gather the sleeve head slightly to ease the fit, which was unexpected.
Constructing both tiers of the skirt before attaching to the bodice, again using the quartering method, meant that all that was left was the hem. To maximise the length of the dress I used bias binding on the hem, which gives a nice flash of ochre on an otherwise monochrome dress. Mother of pearl buttons completed the job.
I’ve worn my myosotis for the first time today and it’s comfortable, swooshy and flattering, despite the loose fit. It must be good as my daughter has been inspired to borrow the pattern and had cut out her own version in a gorgeous red and green brushed cotton.