Colette Tunic Top
A review of Tessuti Fabrics Colette Tunic Top
I used a pretty Indian-printed pink voile, a perfect choice for this floaty summer top. A light silk would also be lovely.
This is my first Tessuti pattern. They are hand-drawn and come with step-by-step instructions with photographs. As a beginner sewer, I found the pattern and instructions brilliant and easy to use. The pieces all fitted together perfectly. The top came out looking like the pictures. If you like this style of top, I would highly recommend this pattern.
Sizing and alterations: I consulted the ladies in the shop in Melbourne as to what size to buy and they said Tessuti patterns run large. I agree with this. I am petite (5 2″) UK size 12-14 and was concerned about fitting my 40″, DD bust (they recommended a Medium and not going up to the Large, which was good advice). Usually I would do an FBA but I wasn’t sure how to do this with princess seams (top has princess seams front and back). I compromised by adding a bit on the side panel at the bust point and lengthening the yoke a tad so it didn’t flounce over the bust and make me look even larger. Apart from lengthening the yoke, I shouldn’t have bothered meddling with this excellent pattern. The top is designed to be just fitted enough across the bust so that it pulls in slightly to give you a nice fitted line in the back. I ended up unpicking my lovely French seams and readjusting the pattern back to the original. I should note I did French seams although the instructions are for overlocking.
Do I love it? I do even though this is not the most flattering style for a larger bust and shorter figure. The shaping at the back stops it from being too ‘preggo’, as my friend said, but there is that risk of the maternity look for the bigger of boob! It would be perfect as a beach cover-up in a longer tunic length, as suggested by Tessuti, and if I made it again that’s how I’d do it.
Difficulty: This pattern is easy to make for a beginner. The only potentially tricky bits for an absolute beginner might be the self bias binding finish on the neckline and the buttonholes. I got my buttonholes done at the tailor so as not to muck up my new top (I have a very old machine).
Recommended changes to the pattern: Really, it’s a great pattern. The only step I would change is to sew your buttonholes first before attaching to the garment, not at the end as instructed. It’s too fiddly when it’s finished.