25 replies, 5 voices Last updated by Profile photo of chloebee chloebee 1 year, 2 months ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of chloebee
    chloebee
    Participant
    @chloebee

Hi all – I know a few of us feel like doing the Wardrobe Architect after Me-Made-May, so I’ve set up a forum so we can go through it together 🙂 @penguinandpear @ellinoora @rosiejane @hrachelp @carolinej16 and anyone else who fancies it!

Week One (on the Colette website there’s more info and a worksheet) – is to find answers to how history/philosophy/culture/community/activities/location/body influence how you dress.

I’m going to have a go at this over the next week and hope others will too! 🙂

Profile photo of juju
    juju
    Participant
    @juju

I’m interested in doing this too.

Profile photo of juju
    juju
    Participant
    @juju

Here is the Colette Wardrobe Architect link for those who may have trouble finding it.

Profile photo of penguinandpear
    penguinandpear
    Participant
    @penguinandpear

Im a few weeks ahead (week 3) but def going to follow this! Feel free to post your blog posts on my fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/sewinganddressmakingbloggernetwork/ 🙂

Profile photo of rosiejane
    rosiejane
    Participant
    @rosiejane

Thanks for setting this up, @chloebee! I did the Wardrobe Architect back in 2014 when it came out, and I’m going to go through again to see if my tastes have changed ?

penguinandpear
    Participant
    @penguinandpear

I’ve just written up week 3 of wardrobe architect on my blog

http://www.penguinandpear.co.uk/

really enjoying this!

Profile photo of juju
    juju
    Participant
    @juju

I’m working on week two and I’m finding it very revealing. I’m really enjoying this exercise. This is the mood board I have done for my core style, which I have described with the words:
    Unique, creative, comfortable, active with eye-catching pattern and colour.
    I’d love to see other peoples mood boards all in one place.

Attachments:
      Profile photo of juju
      juju
      Participant
      @juju

If you log in can you see the attachment?

chloebee
    Participant
    @chloebee

@juju I would love to see your mood board but can’t see it on here – is there a link I’m missing? Would love to see what pictures go with those words!
    @penguinandpear really enjoying your posts! 🙂

Profile photo of juju
      juju
      Participant
      @juju

I’m writing up a blog post now as well.

chloebee
    Participant
    @chloebee

Ok – I’ve gone through the worksheets for weeks 1 and 2 and the words that describe my core style are: fabulous, relaxed, flowing, elegant, fun.

Fabulous (to me) covers wonderful colours and prints, interesting details, the little extra bits, could just be some lovely lipstick.

Relaxed encompasses comfort, being snuggled up in a big wooly cardi, swishy dresses, and not being overly structured or constricted. It also allows for the fact that my hair is almost always messy and I rarely bother with much makeup!

Flowing – I love clothes with a bit of movement to them, be it swishy dresses or floaty sleeves or just a neckline with a good drape. Nothing too starchy or stiff.

Elegant – I prefer to err on the side of being overdressed for an occasion than under dressed, and feel much better about myself if I feel that I look smart and not scruffy.

Fun – like bright pops of lining, flowers, amusing jewellery, clashing prints, multiple colours, not necessarily novelty prints (but I wouldn’t rule it out). Not taking it too seriously or wearing anything too ‘precious’.

Next step is a moodboard – going to have some fun on Pinterest later tonight! 🙂

Profile photo of juju
      juju
      Participant
      @juju

Can I just say how much I love the word Fabulous to describe your core style!

chloebee
    Participant
    @chloebee

@juju I still can’t… @thefoldline can you help – I can’t see an attachment, do I need to change settings or something?
    Thank you ? fabulous is my go to word for describing clothes and things I love so I thought it fitted! It’s aspirational at the moment but will get there ? what’s your blog called?

Profile photo of juju
      juju
      Participant
      @juju

I can see my attachment when I’m logged in so we will see what the fold line say. My blog is jujuvail.com. I will be posting it on Saturday. I will post tomorrow telling my followers that we have a group going over here, if that is okay.

Profile photo of thefoldline
      thefoldline
      Keymaster
      @thefoldline

@chloebee I can see the attachment too – checked it on phone, ipad and mac. Not sure why you can’t see it..are you on a PC or a Mac?

chloebee
      Participant
      @chloebee

@thefoldline PC and phone (Android) – have attached a screenshot of what it looks like on PC.
      Also, I notice I can reply to individual posts on PC but can’t see the ‘reply’ button on each post on my phone so sorry everyone that my replies are all over the place! 🙂

Attachments:
    chloebee
    Participant
    @chloebee

@juju the more the merrier ?

penguinandpear
    Participant
    @penguinandpear

Thanks @chloebee

@juju you might be interested in my sewing blogger group on fb? https://www.facebook.com/groups/sewinganddressmakingbloggernetwork/

rosiejane
    Participant
    @rosiejane

I’ve looked over the worksheets, and one of the things I found most helpful was the one about which styles I like in theory but aren’t really me: this is elegant, chic, gamine – I need to step away from the Audrey Hepburn look – no matter how much I love it, it just isn’t me! I’d never looked at it like that. Did you all find this part useful too?

My words for my style are: honest, comfy, natural, uncompromising and quirky. I’m not sure about the last word. What I mean is that I don’t feel the need to conform, and though I like sometimes quite feminine or girly clothes, I’ll usually wear them with Docs or leggings.

Profile photo of juju
      juju
      Participant
      @juju

Yes @rosiejane I think that part is helpful too. I’ve been trying to wear lagenlook for years and it doesn’t suit my small shoulders, makes me feel frumpy. Time to acknowledge that.

Profile photo of juju
    juju
    Participant
    @juju

I loved making boards about my core style, and silhouette but I’m a bit stumped by my the key colours. I really love all colours. I love playing with how I might pair an “ugly” colour with something else to create a certain mood. Narrowing down my colour palette is really hard.
    I guess I will end up with a an wieldy colour palette.
    Anyone else have this problem?

rosiejane
    Participant
    @rosiejane

I’m sure it’s fine if you have a huge colour palette, @juju – after all, this is all about helping us works out what we love, what fits with our own unique personalities and bodies 🙂
    I have sewn with lots of colours and patterns, but this made me realise that I will always better love the clothes that I make using the colours that really make me go aaaah!

chloebee
    Participant
    @chloebee

@rosiejane I agree about the styles that I love but don’t suit – I love the look of vintage style – Joan in Mad Men or Dita von Teese, but there’s no way I would spend that much time getting ready to look that polished. And Docs with girly clothes sounds great!

I’ve attached my core style mood board, really enjoyed making that – on to silhouettes now!

@juju I don’t see anything at all wrong with a huge colour palette – no point restricting yourself when you wear all the colours anyway! You could always narrow it down to fewer colours if you ever wanted to make a capsule wardrobe.

Profile photo of juju
    juju
    Participant
    @juju

I blogged about my core style on Saturday and today I blogged my five key silhouettes.
    Defining my core silhouettes has been really helpful. I’ve started to think about pieces, such as coats, that can be added to all my silhouettes. Probably Silhouette, more than colour, will define my style.

rosiejane
    Participant
    @rosiejane

@chloebee I’m on my iPod and can’t see the attachment! I’ll have to look on the PC some time.
    I think I’m on to silhouettes next too 🙂

chloebee
    Participant
    @chloebee

Finally got round to doing silhouettes and colours! 🙂
    Timing worked out well as I can see attachments now again.

For silhouettes, I had a think through what I like to wear & what I would like to wear, a look through what patterns I have, and a look at my MMMay16 pictures to get an idea of my favourites.

Tops: skimming or blousey and tucked-in
    Nipped in at waist – tops tucked in, dresses/jumpsuits with defined waistline, cardigans or dresses belted. Usually at the natural waist but slightly high-waisted works too
    Skirts – Knee-length or thereabouts, or maxi. The occasional straight skirt is ok, but I feel more comfortable in skirts/dresses with some fullness and swish to them
    Neckline: V, scoop, or cowl necklines
    Sleeves: Sleeveless is fine as long as the straps are wide enough to cover bra straps, cap, elbow, 3/4 or long sleeves all good. Quite fond of a full floaty sleeve

As for colours, I picked some of my favourites, some from my mood board, and some from clothes I wear often. The whole palette was influenced a bit by my colouring – from Googling I think I’m a ‘soft summer’ so the colours I picked tend to be softer ones that are (supposedly!) flattering. I then did as advised on the Colette blog and split them up into neutrals/nearly neutrals and statement colours.

Next steps are solids/prints and hair, makeup & beauty!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.