113 replies, 28 voices Last updated by Profile photo of rosiejane rosiejane 1 year, 4 months ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of gingerthreadgirl
    gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

Thought I would set-up this topic for chatting our way through the latest series of GBSB!

Profile photo of adele
    adele
    Participant
    @adele

Really looking forward to watching tonight,feels like forever since the last series πŸ™‚

Profile photo of thefoldline
    thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

Yey! We can’t wait, already sat on the sofa! Will you ladies be here to chat about the episode afterwards? @gingerthreadgirl @adele

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

Absolutely @thefoldline! Try and stop me πŸ˜‰

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

Gosh that was a whirlwind – what did everyone think?!

Profile photo of lucyann
    lucyann
    Participant
    @lucyann

I loved it! It’s great the new series is back i’ve missed it.

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

What did you think of Emse the new judge? She didn’t hold back did she!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous @

I liked her, she gave some good advice.

Profile photo of trishm
      trishm
      Participant
      @trishm

As soon as Esme said the word “arse” while keeping a deadpan expression I liked her. I think she is going to be quite a character πŸ™‚

Profile photo of lucyann
    lucyann
    Participant
    @lucyann

Yeah she was quite confident being filmed. I miss May but it’s nice to have a new face. Wouldn’t want to see Patrick replaced though hehe

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

I feel exhausted after watching it! It must be tough sewing under watchful eyes of judges and time constraints! Absolutely loved it – thrilled that it’s back. Bring on next Monday (never usually hear that from me!)

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@gingerthreadgirl I know what you mean, it’s so exciting by the end we were quite tired lol! A great start to the week πŸ™‚

Profile photo of lucyann
    lucyann
    Participant
    @lucyann

It’s certainly brightened up my Mondays. I thought the challenges were a bit harder for week 1 than they have been.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous @

Yep I agree and some contestants seemed a bit more experienced than others. A few strong contenders for the final already. Good it’s 8 weeks this time.

Profile photo of jamjar15
    jamjar15
    Participant
    @jamjar15

It’s hard to keep up at this stage – just putting names to faces takes me a couple of episodes! But I thought there were some interesting makes, especially in the final task. Esme seems quite hard to impress, and I thought they were quite scathing about the refashion round. But I still loved it.

Profile photo of fayezeet
    fayezeet
    Participant
    @fayezeet

Gosh, I loved it! I was surprised by two things: 1. I thought the challenges were more difficult than I expected and 2. I was surprised by some of the contestants saying they had never done this and that before. I thought you had to have done a lot of these techniques just to get in? In my dreams, I’ll be ready for the Sewing Bee in….Oooh, let me think….20 years? Lol x

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@jamjar15 Yes she does have quite an eye for detail and no afraid to call people out! It’s a shame about the refashioning round, it’s something we should all be encouraging!

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@fayezeet Agreed, the challenges seemed harder for episode 1 than in previous series. I can’t imagine being on the show and only having sewn a zip once! I’d be practicing these things like made beforehand πŸ™‚

Profile photo of
    Anonymous @

It would be great to be on the sewing bee but I don’t think I could take the pressssureeeee! Geez how these guys do it I just don’t know.

Profile photo of sewingintime
    sewingintime
    Participant
    @sewingintime

I would never have bought a maternity dress to recycle but actually you get a lot of fabric so maybe this is a good thing to look out for in charity shops …

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@sewingintime This is a good point, maternity wear is something you don’t wear for that long so there are probably quite a few things in charity shops you could pick up and refashion. Anyone else refashioned maternity wear?

Profile photo of lucyann
    lucyann
    Participant
    @lucyann

I wouldn’t know where to start with that, find it easier making things from scratch I must say. Interested to see what next week will bring

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

Thanks for joining us for some post episode chat. We are looking forward to next week already. Don’t forget we’ll have some patterns and tips to inspire you from the first episode on the blog tomorrow. Night all πŸ™‚

Profile photo of annecole
    annecole
    Participant
    @annecole

I fancy having a go at making that bias top.
    I wouldn’t of had a clue about how to match up the pattern unless I’ve seen them do it ( and the mistakes they made when they did it )
    I have already ordered my copy of the book and patterns to go over the series . I believe that a pattern for the bias top is in that. Last years winner, Matt, was demonstrating it on Create and Craft TV last week . However I don’t think Matt used stripes on his garment .

Profile photo of wren10514
    wren10514
    Participant
    @wren10514

I couldn’t believe they asked them to make a pattern matched bias top with self-made bias binding as the first task – I thought they did really well (though after hanging you know they’re going to have really wobbly hems), but seemed a bit harsh! Although some of them really didn’t make it easy on themselves – if you’ve hardly ever done bias cutting before why pick a really hard pattern to match? There are other ways to impress the judges – I think Jamie got it right picking a harder fabric but a super simple pattern (but this may just be my hatred of pattern matching showing).

On the second task I think I would have ignored the fact that it was a dress and just cut down one side and used as fabric. About the only things I make out of jersey though is underwear so maybe not!

Profile photo of trishm
      trishm
      Participant
      @trishm

Me too. πŸ™‚

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

@wren10514 Agreed with you there! Though Esme probably would have loved to see some undies! Haha x

Profile photo of trishm
      trishm
      Participant
      @trishm

I hope that top is in the new book. Although a simple style, I think it would make a very nice summer top πŸ™‚

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

I’ve just ordered the GBSB book from Amazon – it’s only Β£9.99 on there.

Profile photo of trishm
    trishm
    Participant
    @trishm

I thought the first task was daunting for most of them but they did seem to make it harder for themselves by the fabrics they choose. I was also surprised at how little prepared they were; it was surely predictable that at some stage they were going to have to insert a zip.

I thought I would like Tracy but I don’t πŸ™

Good start to the series though.

Profile photo of susanyoungsewing
    susanyoungsewing
    Participant
    @susanyoungsewing

I know that in the end the contestants are chosen by the producers for whichever ‘box’ they happen to tick for good television but it always surprises me how many contestants over all the series seem to have so little breadth of experience. Personally I wouldn’t enter Bake Off or Masterchef just because I cook a bit, this is a competition to find ‘Britain’s best home sewer’ after all, shouldn’t they be exactly that? Putting zips in or using bias binding are so basic that no one should be struggling with them, other than by being up against the clock. When things go wrong for them but they know how to sort it out, that’s when you know who’s more likely to swim than sink before the end. Hey ho, it’s just telly though and I’ll still be watching…

Profile photo of petitange
    petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

I enjoyed it, despite having a power cut during the final challenge, aaaarrrhhh! ? I liked May so was unsure how I would feel about Esme. I was pleasantly surprised. I liked her frankness and sense of humor. This is a sewing competition and she judged accordingly. She came across tougher than May. Patrick seemed softer than usual but think they compliment each other. The maternity dress challenge wasn’t good. I suppose it is the first week so hopefully they will get more inspiration and adventurous as it goes on. There is quite a range of abilities and personalities. It was nice to see them helping each other. We may be in for some surprises. I thought Jamie was the dark horse this week, quietly getting on with it but coming up with some good sewing. Maybe we will have another chap win? ? I was sorry to see who went (won’t name in case you haven’t watched yet ?), but I always think it’s particularly sad on the first week.

I follow The Thrifty Stitcher (http://thethriftystitcher.co.uk/blog/). She develops the patterns for the programme. On her FB and IG feeds she’s modeling the bias top.

I’ve noticed on social media a few people getting together for GBSB evenings, to watch and comment over a glass of wine. Sounds like fun. Do you watch it alone or with friends? I’d love to have a weekly GBSB get-together but don’t have any sewing friends locally. At least I got to watch it in peace, my lot vacated the room when it came on with a groan and left me to it. ?

P.S. I thought it was moving that the episode was dedicated to Last years’ finalist, Lorna.

Profile photo of penguinandpear
    penguinandpear
    Participant
    @penguinandpear

I’m a bit late to the party but I did watch last night.

I agree with a lot of comments here – Esme is a character, quite harsh but good TV.
    Patrick seemed easier going this time, perhaps compared to Esme?
    The bias top was a hard make for the first task, I was quite surprised. Especially the pattern matching aspect. However, I also agree with others who say that there were some pretty basic techniques I was surprised they hadnt completed.

I predict Jamie, Jade and Angeline are the ones to watch… it’ll be interesting to see the weeks unfold, so to speak….

Profile photo of english-girl-at-home
    english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

I was watching at a slight delay last night so was behind everyone else & couldn’t chat online without danger of spoilers – I’m definitely watching live next time! I loved the skirt Ghislaine was wearing during the episode – gorgeous.

english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

Oh, and I’ve just reviewed the GBSB book if you’d like a peek inside. Just my opinions trying one of the patterns. I’m sure lots more reviews will be popping up soon.

https://englishgirlathome.com/2016/05/17/gbsb-culottes-from-stitch-to-style-review/

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

Love your Culottes Charlotte! @english-girl-at-home
    I’ve got our review ready to post tomorrow although I need to get a nice photo of my project when it’s not raining πŸ™‚
    Agree with you on the sizing, I could have easily cut out a flattering size 8, when I am always a 12. More details to follow!

english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

Looking forward to it @thefoldline

I left my photos until the last minute too:) Although I can’t blame the rain, it was due to last minute sewing.

I’m always paranoid it’s just me making a mistake, I did remeasure a few times in case!

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

Yes, lovely culottes @english-girl-at-home! I’m so excited to be getting my copy of the GBSB book TODAY! Hurry up postman!

english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

Enjoy @gingerthreadgirl ! I’m addicted to sewing books (and magazines…) – I’ve just ordered Rosie Martin’s new book. Really looking forward to it.

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

It’s Monday again! Who’s excited for the next GBSB episode this evening? It’s certainly brightened up our start to the week! πŸ™‚

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

Yes! It’s the only thing getting me through today!!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Yes, me too! ?

english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

The boyfriend wants a lift about 8:30 – so I better be home in time! Or else!

Profile photo of thecraftypinup
    thecraftypinup
    Participant
    @thecraftypinup

Can’t wait! Loving the contestants this series! So many strong sewists.

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

We’ve already had ‘the chat’ about Game of Thrones being on at the same time as GBSB. I won this week but not sure about next week! πŸ™‚

english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

@thefoldline – if you sky+ GoT, you can set it to record the ridiculously early screening (I think it’s shown the same time as in the US) so you can actually watch it before GBSB if you’re in the house early enough;)

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

Amazing I will pass that info on! thanks @english-girl-at-home

penguinandpear
    Participant
    @penguinandpear

So who do you predict to win? I think there are a lot of strong contenders this time but I think Jade is one to watch (I saw a prom dress she made for herself on FB and it is amazing). Possibly Jamie or Angeline too…hmmm…

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@penguinandpear Yep I think you’re right, they are all strong contenders for the final. I think Charlotte could be too.

Profile photo of livingonashoestring
    livingonashoestring
    Participant
    @livingonashoestring

Happy to have found this thread just in time for episode 2! I’ll definitely come back to join in discussions later! πŸ™‚

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

I’m going to be on Twitter throughout, and then back here to dissect episode 2 after it is finished! I love how Mondays no longer bum me out because I can get home and watch GBSB in the evening!

Profile photo of chloebee
    chloebee
    Participant
    @chloebee

Love all the different pattern weights!

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

I know they look like sweets!

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

Fingers crossed we don’t break the website this week and we can chat about episode 2! πŸ™‚

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

What did you all think of episode 2? I think a knit pattern is quite a tough challenge for week 2, especially as it’s so fiddly when trying to make a baby pattern.

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

I didn’t agree with some of the judging to be honest… and maaaannn is Esme a tough judge. I’d have a heart attack if she were to judge any of my makes!

livingonashoestring
    Participant
    @livingonashoestring

Very tricky week- jersey and slippery fabrics in tiny sizes – woah! They mostly did a great job though I thought!

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

But I loved the miniature tiny person garments! Pat on the back to the Bees!

Profile photo of tinydancer
    tinydancer
    Participant
    @tinydancer

I agree tough crowd!!found the gusset chat hilarious – really like @maledevonsewing cape – it was amazing

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

The refashioning challenge is always difficult and some of those garments received harsh words. I can’t imagine having to come up with an idea so quickly!

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

I’ve seen the red cape in the new GBSB book. Would love to have a crack at that… but for me πŸ˜‰

livingonashoestring
    Participant
    @livingonashoestring

Yeah Esme is tough but I coudn’t help giggling through the capes as she really is Edna Mode from The Incredibles!!

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@livingonashoestring definately Edna Mode!

I think Patrick is softer this series but Esme is tough so I guess it’s good cop/bad cop routine. πŸ™‚ I know some comments have been harsh but I think it’s good to up the game this series so the contestants are stretched and (hopefully) come up with better and better garments. I would really struggle with the refashioning section and I’m amazed with some of the garments produced. They were better this week, than last. I think the challenges this year are tougher but don’t think that’s a bad thing, sorts out the good from the not-so-good sewers as @penguinandpear said it’s a sewing competition, not a sew-a-long. πŸ˜€

Love some of those capes, especially the red one and the tweed Sherlock Holmes one. Lingerie next week, saw this on Cousu Main (French version) and there were some hilarious and cheeky (literally!) garments. Also in the French version the judges look down from a mezzanine making comments on the contestants and I noticed they are doing this in the UK version this series.

Loving it so far πŸ™‚

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of petitange petitange. Reason: incorrect tag
    gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

Haha @livingonashoestring! No Capes!

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@livingonashoestring I know she is amazing!!

@gingerthreadgirl that would be amazing go for it!
    ?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous @

@gingerthreadgirl It’s always the way, kids have the best clothes!

livingonashoestring
    Participant
    @livingonashoestring

Has anyone got any favourites yet?! Maybe it’s the bright red hair but I’m loving Jade!!

english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

Is it just me or is Patrick funnier now Esme is playing bad cop.

I thought including a gusset and snaps on the baby grow was pretty tough in that timeframe! Surely you could just allow extra ease in the babygrow and skip the gusset – particularly if you’re sewing it in 3 hours.

Profile photo of lucyann
    lucyann
    Participant
    @lucyann

I thought I saw patrick smirking several times!!!

Profile photo of tinydancer
    tinydancer
    Participant
    @tinydancer

@english-girl-at-home YES!! he’s really coming into his own this season

Profile photo of
    Anonymous @

I was shocked to see lingerie at the end. In week 3? what will they be making by week 8 …

english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

@tinydancer @lucyann @livingonashoestring It’s good to see more personality coming across

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@hannah80 I know tough crowd!! who knows what will be ins store but agree week three for lingerie is pretty full on.. anyone made their own?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of thefoldline thefoldline.
    english-girl-at-home
    Participant
    @english-girl-at-home

@thefoldline – not yet, & I wouldn’t fancy trying for the first time on the show, with Esme judging!

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@english-girl-at-home I know – like the look of the pattern in the book – might try and make it!

Profile photo of lucyann
    lucyann
    Participant
    @lucyann

I’ve not really been tempted to sew lingerie yet, I like to be able to show my friends what i’ve made!

livingonashoestring
    Participant
    @livingonashoestring

I really want to make a bra so I’m hoping next week will inspire me to take the plunge (excuse the pun!!)

Profile photo of fayezeet
    fayezeet
    Participant
    @fayezeet

Hi,
    Loved Episode 2. The tweed cape that Jamie (?) made was absolutely stunning. Tweed is so expensive – bet they love having a free haberdashery! I have never done a single refashion of any garment. Do you think many people do that? I thought most sewists just used patterns to create from scratch.
    Faye, N.Yorks

penguinandpear
    Participant
    @penguinandpear

Well, I caught up with the new episode…. I think the challenges are a little harsh tbh… but then again its the sewing bee not a sew-along lol

I predicted the next evictee pretty early on as there was a lot of focus on that person

Loved Jamie’s cape and angelines too, impressed to see them shurring (is that how you spell it?), a babygro!! really! Im with the person earlier who said what will they be sewing by week 8! Theyll be expected to work alongside Patrick at Savile row lol

I like Esme, she is very particular but shes a definite character, I can see why she got the gig.

I agree Patrick is coming into his own this series, seeing a more softer side to him

I still think Jade is the one to watch, I think shes keeping her best work under her hat until later on in the series… we will see!

Profile photo of trishm
    trishm
    Participant
    @trishm

The babygro was a difficult task.

The challenge makes were surprisingly poor.

The main garment, the cape, was more interesting although, does anyone wear capes anymore? (except Super Heroes of course!) Having said that, I thought the red one was striking and completed so deserved to win. If the tweed one had been finished though, that would have been my personal choice. I really like Ghislaine but her cape was not good at all.

I do think though, if these are the best of the home sewers, I would have expected their skills to be better and more consistent. On the other hand, it is a plus to see people sew who are not professionals so, I guess that comes with the territory.

For all that, I am looking forward to Episode 3 πŸ™‚

wren10514
    Participant
    @wren10514

Does anyone else think they must be having lots of training for the techniques each week? a lot of them are saying they’ve never done certain techniques before and then doing them really really well – and only Ghislain really had a problem with the overlocker and I’m betting none of them have one of those at home. I think it really shows with Josh – on the alteration challenges he’s been showing that he really is very inexperienced (that gilet took 90 mins?? and still didn’t fit??) and yet he’s been holding his own in the other challenges. They’ve got to be giving them loads of information about what they’ll be facing and loads of time to practice.

Profile photo of cikka
      cikka
      Participant
      @cikka

I do:) I made a New York Cape with the Tessuti pattern and find it great for the in between seasons:)….

Profile photo of trishm
    trishm
    Participant
    @trishm

@wren10514 Pretty sure they said the contestants are given the pattern for the main item so they can take it home and make a practice garment.

wren10514
      Participant
      @wren10514

Yeah but they seem very prepared for the first task as well – none of them blinked about using the overlocker for the baby grow…

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

They are allowed to know the final garment and practise at home. I think they can chose or make their own pattern for it.

Profile photo of cikka
    cikka
    Participant
    @cikka

I’m kind of annoyed. I was trying to figure out the pattern for the palazzo pants – and finally realised I was having problems because it is totally mislabelled! What makes it confusing is that you have to join pieces a la Burda. If it weren’t for the fact that I am not a novie and that only the back has darts, it would be really hard for someone inexperienced to sort this out!

Now I am worrying about the quality of the rest of the patterns. I wrote to the publishers about it but they haven’t bothered to reply.

Profile photo of maledevonsewing
    maledevonsewing
    Participant
    @maledevonsewing

Well @ wren10514 I can promise you that there is no practice or training at all. Challenges 1 and 2 each week are totally unknown to us. We do know challenge 3 and have time to practice but that’s it. Who doesn’t have an overlocker at home?
    Glad you are enjoying it though

Jamie

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

@maledevonsewing I’m loving it! You’re my favourite, (well one of them ?). I admire all the contestants, I’m not sure I could do it. Loved your cape, you put a lot of work into it. Looking forward to episode 3 – lingerie & on the BBC, who’d have thought it! ☺️

Profile photo of redwsews
    redwsews
    Participant
    @redwsews

To be fair, if you got onto the show, wouldn’t you sew everything you could get your hands on in the meantime? And certainly anything that had been mentioned in previous seasons like overlockers. I’m really enjoying it, although it does feel like some slightly weaker contestants may have been chosen to make better TV. It’s so very hard to tell though whether that’s genuine or whether it’s been edited to emphasise the impression. Still, great TV and really inspiring.

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

Ready and waiting for lingerie week on GBSB!

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@ I think it’s going to be a tricky one this week!

redwsews
    Participant
    @redwsews

Not filling me with a desire to sew my own bra, looks terrifying!

gingerthreadgirl
    Participant
    @gingerthreadgirl

Phewey… this series of GBSB is TOUGH!

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

There were some difficult techniques and fabrics to sew with this week. Shocking exit too!

redwsews
    Participant
    @redwsews

I actually think this evening’s episode has made me more willing to cough up the cost of a good bra from the shops! Well done everyone for getting through those challenges, can’t believe this is only week 3!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Golly, a few surprises this week! ? Don’t want to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t watched it yet but I didnt predict any of the winners and losers this week. Loved the bra challenge, think there were several very good versions. Liked Charotte’s choice of colours and her robe was beautiful. Like the vintage
    style of Angeline’s robe but the finished garment wasn’t quite what I imagined. I agree the challenges are more difficult this series but I think it is making great watching.

Profile photo of trishm
    trishm
    Participant
    @trishm

I enjoyed this episode so much more than last week.

I thought they all did well (even the less successful ones) with the bra making which looked very tricky to me. Not sure whether it inspired me to have a go or not!

I liked Tracey this week and thought she did well.

Sorry to see the person who went (don’t want to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t watched yet!) especially as I thought they were a potential winner.

I think the contestants are more comfortable now as they did seem more confident this week.

Esme and Patrick work very well together.

Profile photo of jamjar15
    jamjar15
    Participant
    @jamjar15

I was really impressed with what they managed to achieve with the bra challenge. They definitely seem to be upping their game across the board.

Profile photo of uttaretch
    uttaretch
    Participant
    @uttaretch

Finding myself with a spare hour last weekend, I watched the repeat of the last episode and was horrified. The scarves challenge made my jaw drop in the awfulness of the of the garments, but having praised this

nightie

for the fabric combination and neatness of sewing, Esme Young dismissed it as ‘mumsie’ and first place was awarded to

clumsy effort

this clumsy effort with it’s badly sewn, wonky hem.

The dressing gown challenge was better, but the judges failed to notice the bust dart that seemed to start under the arm and missed the bust apex completely.

missed apex

Is this show really all we can hope for in terms of sewing? I am old and remember Ann Ladbury and perhaps I am out of step, but I don’t find anything praiseworthy about Sewing bee.

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

There was an interesting range of garments sewn up in the episode this week. The upcycling challenge was the best yet I think, some really inspired alterations!

Profile photo of trishm
    trishm
    Participant
    @trishm

I loved the fabrics this week but I cannot understand why they do not try the garment on the dummy until the last minute when the item is finished and the clock is ticking. Joyce lost the sari challenge because she literally sewed the pants onto the dummy.

thefoldline
    Keymaster
    @thefoldline

@trishm It must be the stress! They were great fabrics, we’ve got a blog post coming up at the end of this week that you might like related to this so keep your eye out πŸ™‚

Profile photo of trishm
    trishm
    Participant
    @trishm

@foldline Yes, it probably is in part. It seems so illogical to make something which needs to fit the dummy but not try it on until it is finished.

I look forward to your blog post πŸ™‚

Profile photo of sew-itwithdi
    sew-itwithdi
    Participant
    @sew-itwithdi

I’m interested in how you all rate the quality of the contestants or perhaps the production…..please don’t be too personal as it must take a lot of nerve to do this. I’m no baker, but to me the expected standard on Bake Off seems much higher. The time allowed for challenges means that inside finishes are almost impossible and hems are almost always machined. I love the programme, but does it do down the knowledge and skills that so many of us has? I’d love to enter, but as someone who teaches and sews commissions I’ve always presumed I would be considered a professional….

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

I also thought the up-cycle challenges were better this week, it seems like they are getting into the swing of doing them. I too couldn’t understand why the garments were not fitted on the stands so at the last minute they were having to make shoddy alterations to make them fit. There are one or two that have me muttering at the tv but I’m not mentioning names! πŸ˜‰ Let’s just say, it’s all very well of me to criticise but I’m not sure I would do any better under the same conditions. Perhaps we also have to remember that maybe some of the better sewing examples are cut out as they don’t make such good telly as the mistakes? I did think Charlotte should have been rated higher than Rumana in the Chinese top challenge as apart from the stretched neckline, I think it was a much better made garment.
    @sew-itwithdi I have also noticed the lack of finish inside and the stitched hems but I have always guessed this was because of time restrains. It seems that the contestants are picked more for variety than for sewing talent. Maybe they think if everyone was very good it would make boring telly. Although sometimes I have questioned their choices as some contestants really seem to have little knowledge.

Profile photo of trishm
    trishm
    Participant
    @trishm

The thing I notice with this series is that, unlike previously, there are no stand-out sewers as, for example, my personal favourites: Ann (first series – I think she had been sewing for 70+ years), Heather Jacks and, of course, Lorna.

I also agree that Charlotte’s garment was better than the one made by Rumana.

Profile photo of susanyoungsewing
    susanyoungsewing
    Participant
    @susanyoungsewing

I don’t think the fact that you teach sewing and take commissions is necessarily a reason not to apply @sew-itwithdi, Charlotte teaches classes at V Haberdashery in London. I downloaded the application form last time out of curiosity and it does ask questions about level of training e.g. college/uni etc as well as working experience in the field. That’s what would discount ‘professionals’ from qualifying.

Profile photo of caro1812
    caro1812
    Participant
    @caro1812

I can see why they picked the garment of the week that they did – the fit at the chest and shoulders was so good- but I think my favourite in terms of style was actually Jade’s. What do you think?
    And is anyone else as tempted as I am to make a trip to Walthamstow market to buy wax cotton now?

Profile photo of hazelnutthread
    hazelnutthread
    Participant
    @hazelnutthread

I seem to remember in previous series the insides were checked as part of the judging – vague memory of the anorak challenge.

Another question- why if it’s filmed over 2 days do they all wear the same outfit?

Profile photo of caro1812
    caro1812
    Participant
    @caro1812

I think the clothes thing is so the footage can be edited to be really dramatic across both days (I don’t think all the comments in the judging always make it in which might be why they missed the too high dart mentioned below). I remember in Bake Off last year there was all that hoohah about someone taking the baked alaska out of the freezer which was supposedly edited to look worse than it was. (Bingate?)

Profile photo of jayspangles
    jayspangles
    Participant
    @jayspangles

I think the contestants are chosen in part for their variety, in skill level, ideas, presentation, for their entertainment value. That is the draw for me. If they were all precision sewers then it would be very off putting to new sewers. I cringe at many of the things they make, although there have been some good garments; but I do know if I had to stitch under such time pressure and under he constant eye of a camera and disruptions my high standards would fly out of the window. I like a nice finish and fit, but I am slow so I like plenty of time. I have thought I might like to apply, but would I would hate to produce badly made things.

Profile photo of rosiejane
    rosiejane
    Participant
    @rosiejane

I agree with @jayspangles that if all contestants were precision sewers, it would be off-putting to new tryers, who we all want to encourage!
    Added this here, as its in reply to the last comment, but let’s head off to the GBSB chat continued thread now…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.