Online Sewing community & Pattern Database Forums Local groups: meet sewists in your area Fabric and Pattern Swap – 4th June – Central London

59 replies, 22 voices Last updated by Profile photo of dakotas dakotas 1 year ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of scientificsewing
    scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

Hello Everyone,

I am currently arranging a meet up on a different board for fabric shopping and I suggested a fabric swap but it has been suggested a different meet up for this so I am creating this one!

So, 4th June (hopefully this will give everyone enough notice) in Central London. I will try find a venue we can use once I have a rough idea of numbers.

If you have any fabric you would like to get rid of or any patterns you just know you won’t ever sew then bring them along, other people will pick up what they want!

I would please ask that anyone attending definitely does bring something to make sure this swap works!

If there is anything left over I will take it to a charity shop 🙂

Looking forward to meeting some fellow fabric/pattern hoarders!

Profile photo of nicoleneedles
    nicoleneedles
    Participant
    @nicoleneedles

Definitely up for this!

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

@nicoleneedles – yay!

Profile photo of carolinej16
    carolinej16
    Participant
    @carolinej16

I’d love to join in with a fabric and pattern swap. What sort of time are you thinking of meeting up?

Profile photo of catinthehat2
    catinthehat2
    Participant
    @catinthehat2

Sounds good – if I’m free I’ll come along.

Profile photo of pootleandmake
    pootleandmake
    Participant
    @pootleandmake

Would love to join. I have a few bits to swap. Hope to see you at the fabric shopping event too.

carolinej16
    Participant
    @carolinej16

Great stuff, I’m looking forward to it.
    I have been sorting through my fabric stash and patterns – I just need to be more brutal with the culling system!
    My unofficial guide to ONLY re-stock new fabric / patterns if I have used up stash fabric on at least two or three projects is sort of working. But I have still got fabric that has been in ‘le stash’ way too long.
    Hopefully, my unwanted patterns and fabric will get a new home and will make somebody else happy.

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

@carolinej16 – this swap will be a way to replenish the stash without spending money hopefully!
    I am thinking at about lunchtime but will wait until I know numbers to confirm a venue, will try book an area somewhere big enough!

Profile photo of pigeonwishes
    pigeonwishes
    Participant
    @pigeonwishes

I’m in. I’ve just gone through my patterns and was gonna take them to the charity shop but will bring them here instead. 🙂

carolinej16
    Participant
    @carolinej16

Ace! It will be lovely to catch up Megan @pigeonwishes x Caroline

pigeonwishes
    Participant
    @pigeonwishes

@carolinej16 Yeah! It will be great to see you again. It feels like it been ages, which it probably has been!

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

Sorry guys I have just realised this should say the 4th June!!!

carolinej16
    Participant
    @carolinej16

Oh! That’s a shame I had Friday 3rd June all planned out nicely. I won’t be able to make the Saturday 4th June. Nevermind, maybe another time?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Profile photo of carolinej16 carolinej16.
    scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

@carolinej16 so sorry!! It is definitely the saturday! 🙁

Profile photo of sewrendipity
    sewrendipity
    Participant
    @sewrendipity

What a fab idea! I’ve been thinking of organising one for ages, as I really wanted to take part, but could not find any. So thank you for taking up the task!
    I’ve never been to a swap before, so how does it work?
    And yes, count me in too!

sewrendipity
    Participant
    @sewrendipity

Also, if it helps, there is a pub near Goldhawk Rd called Defectors Weld, they rent their function room for £60, so if it’s enough people, we can pay a few quid each to have the room to ourselves.

Profile photo of annwatts
    annwatts
    Participant
    @annwatts

I am interested- enjoyed the Walthamstow meet up! Just have to find some material / pattern I can part with

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

The venue is booked! 1pm upstairs at Waxys Little Sister, it is booked under Kristy and I’ll be there! I have been here a few times and it is lovely. I have only booked for up to 15 people so if you could please let me know if you are coming, I may have to increase numbers

Attachments:
    Profile photo of meganjane
    meganjane
    Participant
    @meganjane

I might be able to make it in for the swap. How much do you guys suggest we bring along to the swap? I’d be taking it in on the national rail, so may be limited to what I can carry!

sewrendipity
    Participant
    @sewrendipity

I’m in too! Well done for finding such a central location! Shall I make a pic to tweet and instagram, to get more people coming?

sewrendipity
    Participant
    @sewrendipity

Can I help with anything in terms of organising? Drop me an email to alex@sewrendipity.com if you need anyhtign. I’m London based.

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

I think the amount you want to bring is completely up to you! @meganjane

Thanks @sewrendipity some social media will be good! And I think it is all pretty much organised, we have some space in the pub and people will bring along what they want to! I go to this pub once a month for the book club I am involved with so always had it in mind! 🙂

I think a good rule of thumb would be to not take more than you bring unless there are things left over, that way it will be fair!

Profile photo of aahhh
    aahhh
    Participant
    @aahhh

I’m definitely up for this! I already have a bag of fabric I culled from the stash for a craft swap I didn’t end up attending and I don’t want to put it back in the stash! 🙂

Profile photo of nicoleneedles
    nicoleneedles
    Participant
    @nicoleneedles

Count me in! So much to get rid of!

Profile photo of livingonashoestring
    livingonashoestring
    Participant
    @livingonashoestring

I’m in and so excited as I literally have bags of fabric to bring!! See you there everyone!! Xox

annwatts
    Participant
    @annwatts

Struggling with the items to swap! Need to try and find some material …..why does everyone else have bags to swap???? I do have this month’s brand new issue of ( Italian) la Mia boutique though as I bought one last week and was then given another by an Italian friend as a present! Assume that can count as a pattern???
    Can I still come just to chat if I have limited swaps? ( should have bought more in Walthamstow market just to use as swaps!)

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

@annwatts – absolutely classes as a pattern! It is good you don’t have loads it means you have bought wisely! I don’t have bags and bags don’t worry!

@livingonashoestring – it will be nice to meet you Gabby!

carolinej16
    Participant
    @carolinej16

I have managed to re-schedule some stuff so I am hoping to make it to the swap on Saturday.

In addition to a number of paper patterns I have a decent little collection of lovely small scraps (which include some bits of Liberty tana Lawn) which would be perfect for anybody who makes patchwork / rag-rugging.

I also have a couple of decent lengths of random fabrics including (lengths are approximate):

1 1/4 metre of 60’s Vintage polyester in a crazy psychedelic print
    1/2 metre of 60’s Vintage polyester in a mad orange paisley print
    1 metre of abstract colours pattern polyester from Goldhawk Road
    1 1/2 metres of cotton needle cord with a big scale flower print in pink, purple and red from Fabworks
    1/2 metre of abstract pattern viscose in red, pink, blue and white from John Lewis
    1 metre of striped cotton in red, white and blue from Guthrie and Ghani
    1 1/2 metres bold 60’s floral pattern cotton in orange and pink from Ikea
    1 1/2 metres of grey cotton with white tree print Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter from Ray Stitch

There may be more if I decide to part with some more of my stash.

Looking forward to seeing everybody.

Caroline

pigeonwishes
    Participant
    @pigeonwishes

@carolinej16 it would be so brilliant to see you again. seeing your list is shaming me into actually putting the stuff I want to swap in a bag!! 🙂

pigeonwishes
    Participant
    @pigeonwishes

@carolinej16 also I might have to fight for that orange paisley! It sounds amazing!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Profile photo of pigeonwishes pigeonwishes.
    carolinej16
    Participant
    @carolinej16

Hi @pigeonwishes you are very welcome to the mad orange paisley print. I made a dress out of it here which has since gone to the charity shop!

Profile photo of uttaretch
      uttaretch
      Participant
      @uttaretch

Ooh, that takes me back to my 70’s youth. I had a paisley print dress in, I think, purple. 😆

Profile photo of seamdreamer
    seamdreamer
    Participant
    @seamdreamer

Me and friend would love to come along too. I have quite a few patterns and a few bits of fabric for swap.

Thank you for organising, this will be my first swap meet 🙂

Profile photo of clairesews
    clairesews
    Participant
    @clairesews

If love to come along too if you’ve soon for 1 more please? I’ve definitely a fair few patterns and pieces of fabric to bring with me 🙂

Profile photo of kara22jay
    kara22jay
    Participant
    @kara22jay

Think I am going to be able to make this, definately have some fabric to recycle out of the stash.

annwatts
    Participant
    @annwatts

Anyone else had a personal email via fold line from a person called Jessica Abdel asking you to contact them on an email re something importNt ? I think it’s a scam . Found this
    http://419.bittenus.com/16/2/jessica-abdel.html. I haven’t replied and thought I would let you know just in case it’s via this chat forum

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

I am looking forward to this ladies! Hopefully the meet will be good fun!

Profile photo of meganjane
    meganjane
    Participant
    @meganjane

I have two bags of fabric, some jersey, some woven fabrics and all pieces are a minimum of 1.5 metres but most are 2 metres. I should have 2 or 3 patterns to get rid of too. Looking forward to it!

Profile photo of tamsinw-p
    tamsinw-p
    Participant
    @tamsinw-p

Hi, do you have room fro one more? I am now free on Sat and thought I might come along

Profile photo of ladysewful
    ladysewful
    Participant
    @ladysewful

Totally there with a suitcase full!

Profile photo of anushkat
    anushkat
    Participant
    @anushkat

I would definitely like to come! I’m very sorry about the short notice, I saw this advertised on instagram and diarised it, just forgot to actually write a reply!

seamdreamer
    Participant
    @seamdreamer

Hi, just wanted to confirm are we meeting at 1pm?

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

Yup there should be room! I have been told can fit up to 30 standing up so may not be seating space – but much easier to mingle! Mine is mostly patterns to be fair, I’m finding it hard to part with fabric!

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

1pm!

Profile photo of thumblenina
    thumblenina
    Participant
    @thumblenina

Very late to the party but I’d like to come along too if that’s ok! Not huge amounts to swap as I don’t have much space to store anything but have some bits and pieces I’ll bring! Thanks for organising @scientificsewing 🙂 x

Profile photo of caro1812
    caro1812
    Participant
    @caro1812

Hello. I realise this is quite last minute (and I literally joined the forum five minutes ago to ask) but would it be alright to come along?

seamdreamer
    Participant
    @seamdreamer

@scientificsewing thank you for organising x

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

@caro1812 yes come along! ???

@seamdreamer – not a problem!

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

URGENT!!!

Venue change!!!

Waxys Little Sister has had to shut today so they have moved us to their sister pub of Waxy O’Connors

Attachments:
    scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

We are downstairs in the main bar at the back – the area is reserved under Kristy xx

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

My number is 07792351653 if anyone wants it!

carolinej16
    Participant
    @carolinej16

I’d just like to say a big THANK YOU to Kristy @scientificsewing for organising this event.
    It was lovely to catch up with friends and make some new ones too! I am looking forward to seeing any makes from the event. I brought a huge bag of fabric, a tin of threads, beads and about 9 patterns and left with 3 bits of fabric so I am happy with that! Trying to de-stash is hard when there is lots of temptation all around!

All the best sewing-peeps. I look forward to a London fabric swap later in the year.

Caroline

annwatts
    Participant
    @annwatts

Yes, thanks very much Kristy. Lovely to see you and some of the Walthamstow shopping people again – and to meet some new people ( and find new blogs to follow)
    Hope we do it again after you have recovered from organising this one! ( or how about Goldhawk Road sometime in the future?)

carolinej16
    Participant
    @carolinej16

Lovely to meet you today too Ann! @annwatts

seamdreamer
    Participant
    @seamdreamer

thank you @scientificsewing for organising today, what a fun day meeting lots of lovely ladies 🙂

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for coming, I really enjoyed myself!

I have just done a blog post on my haul!

http://scientificsewing.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/the-foldline-fabric-swap.html

Profile photo of trishm
      trishm
      Participant
      @trishm

@scientificsewing Sound like fun. I will have to try and join next time. I just had a look at your blog and notice that you went to Fabians Haberdashery (Cannon St). I have gone passed there so many times but it looks a bit bleak so I have never ventured to have a look at the units in the arches but, having looked at their website, I will have to pop in next time I am stocking up. Thanks 🙂

Profile photo of dakotas
    dakotas
    Participant
    @dakotas

Just found this thread, a bit late. Any plans for further swaps? Would love to participate! Hope the June one went well!

scientificsewing
    Participant
    @scientificsewing

@dakotas – no plans as of yet – it was a huge success and everyone brought sooo much fabric I think it will be a while before everyone needs another clear out. We ended up taking 4 black bags worth of left over fabric to Oxfam!

Profile photo of dakotas
    dakotas
    Participant
    @dakotas

Well I’m glad that it went well and I will just keep an eye open for the next one. You did remind me, however, to remember to check out charity shops for fabric (not that I really need any!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.