Tilly and the Buttons
Make your own Zadie dress with this paper pattern and step-by-step instructions. Designed for stretch knit fabrics, you can sew it on a regular sewing machine (no overlocker or serger needed) – hooray!
Throw on your Zadie dress for comfort and style at work or play. The dress has striking diagonal seams, concealing lovely (and practical!) in-seam pockets. The fitted bodice has a flattering empire waistline and round neckline finished with a neckband. It flares out into a feminine, knee-length semi-pleated skirt that’s great for swishing. Choose from cap, three-quarter or full length raglan sleeves.
If you’re a fan of the Coco or Agnes patterns, this project will take your knit fabric sewing skills to the next level.
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Zadie includes easy-to-follow instructions with photos showing you how to sew each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
SKILL LEVEL – Improvers
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS – Medium weight stretch knit fabrics such as ponte di roma, double knit, interlock, jersey. Check the fabric can be stretched crosswise at least 20% wider than its original width, and that it pings back down to size after stretching.
- Fabric – Long or 3/4 sleeve – 2.5m (2 ¾ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 2.8m (3 yards) x 115cm (45in);
Cap sleeve – 2.1m (2 3/8 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 2.3m (2 1/2 yards) x 115cm (45in)
(It’s always a good idea to buy a little extra knit fabric to allow for shrinkage. See below for fabric lengths for colour blocked versions)
- Matching thread
- 0.9m (1 yard) of 6-8mm (1/4in) stay tape, clear elastic, ribbon or strips of knit interfacing
- Ballpoint or stretch needle for your sewing machine
- Sewing machine and basic tools (a rotary cutter, mat and walking foot are useful)
COLOUR BLOCKING YOUR ZADIE DRESS?
Download the cutting layouts for colour blocking your Zadie dress. You will need the following amounts of fabric:
- Bodices – 0.5m (5/8 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide fabric or 115cm (45in) wide fabric
- Long or ¾ sleeve + side panels – 1m (1 1/8 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide fabric OR 1.3m (1½ yards) x 115cm (45in) wide fabric OR Cap sleeve + side panels – 0.6m (3/4 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide fabric OR 0.7m (3/4 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide fabric
- Skirt, pocket facings + neckband – 1.5m (1 3/4 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide fabric or 115cm (45in) wide fabric
This sewing pattern is available in PAPER format.
If you’re looking for more maker inspiration, check out the latest sewing pattern reviews from the sewing community. We also have a sewing blog to keep you up to date with all the news from the world of sewing.
Jersey / Knits / Scuba
UK 6 / US 2 / EU 34, UK 8 / US 4 / EU 36, UK 10 / US 6 / EU 38, UK 12 / US 8 / EU 40, UK 14 / US 10 / EU 42, UK 16 / US 12 / EU 44, UK 18 / US 14 / EU 46, UK 20 / US 16 / EU 48