TAL HOODIE DRESS – Hack your heart out ;)
A review of Hoodie Dress
- I wanted an ‘easy to get into’ raincoat : coverup that I could put on late at night or during the rain when I needed to talk the dog our for a wee!
- The TAL hoodie dress fit the bill when made up in Merchant and Mills dry oil skin. merchant and Mills dry oil skin is easy to sew (a bit like a drill) and while it gets wet, the water doesn’t come through. Perfect.
PATTERN HACKS (quite a few)
- see @supalunasews for more deets
- lengthened, maybe 20 cm
- custom 3 pleat sleeve
- changed to princess seams
- pocket style changed
- hood altered to sit lower under my chin
- Had to take some back length out (standard adjustment for me)
What I loved:
– the pattern is easy to hack and goes together well
– instructions and visuals are clear
– clean design lines.
– the design was perfect for me to hack into a raincoat dress by simply changing the fabric to dry oil skin (that was surprisingly easy to sew)
What I didn’t like quite so much:
– the method for applying the elastic cuffs and hem seemed pretty awkward and wasn’t much fun. I gave up on that method and made a casing, stretched out the elastic when sewing and joined using a French style seam.
this was incredibly fun to make.