A review of Sapporo Coat
I was apprehensive making this coat as wasn’t really sure about the style. I loved the fit on the model that is featured on the packaging, but when looking at other makers on Instagram, some seemed oversized and shapeless. That in mind I opted for the smallest size even though it didn’t match with my body measurements. I am a regular uk size 12. I rebelliously didn’t make a toile either! I used a very heavy and warm wool and lined with a navy lining fabric. I was worried that my choice of fabric was not going to work with the sleeve construction. They are made using the main fabric as a facing instead of lining, and both layers are stitched to the body of the coat. I decided to change this, and only stitched the main fabric of the sleeves to the body. I then sewed the sleeve facing to the body lining and this negated the need to hand sew the lining to the sleeve and gave a neater finish avoiding bulk. I found the instructions clear with good diagrams, but did struggle as others have with the mitred corners at the front hem. I googled someone else’s clearer description and eventually cracked it! The coat ended up very neat and crisp, the neckline is lovely and simple, and the pockets are very nicely placed. All in all I think it’s a stylish coat that I’m very happy with. Since I made it in such a warm fabric, I may put a hook and eye to fasten the front, and keep out the drafts!