Black Hoodie Parka
A review of Hoodie Parka Coat
So I’ve had this pattern in mind for ages and eventually received it as a Christmas present. I also had vouchers to buy fabric, so settled on a black twill/ drill fabric. perfect for this pattern and stable and easy to work with.
I cut a size small (I’ve done this for the Hoodie Dress from TAL and found it perfect). While this coat does fit me If I wanted to layer up underneath it I might find it a bit tight. So the small size is fine for my lightweight summer version, but if you are wanting something to take you through the cooler months I’d be tempted to go up. TBH I’m borderline between the small and medium anyway.
As with all Assembly Line patterns they are very economical with fabric requirements. If the pattern says you need 2.1m – then you need exactly that amount and there won’t be more than a few scraps left over.
I did use slightly less than the required fabric as I decided to make a fully lined version and cut some of the pieces from my lining fabric. The pattern is not lined except for the hood and yoke. I used spotty green cotton to line the body and regular lining fabric for the sleeves.
The instructions for the pattern are comprehensive and an ambitious beginner with a bit of experience could attempt this, but it is more of an intermediate pattern. I didn’t follow the order of construction as I had to add in my lining, so I used prior sewing experience to construct this. It did involve a bit of head-scratching at times but I figured it out in the end.
This is a super cool pattern and well worth the time taken to make it. I love the high neckline and poppers on the front. While I made this with a cotton drill, it would work really well in waxed cotton or waterproof fabric. You can read more over on my blog.