A new classic
A review of Asteria Dress
Look what’s not to love, an excellent dress pattern that will do you all year long with a bit of interest/vintage-ey vibes with the square neckline without going all out/putting pressure on you to work out how to do pin-curls or something…
The tweaks I made to this first attempt were
- Putting some arbitrary darts in and taking a bit of the fullness out of the waist to make it a bit more fitted and rely less on a waist tie to cinch it in
- It thus needed a zip in the back
- A circle skirt
- Made the bodice fully lined with a light cotton rather than use facings
- Didn’t sew the waist ties into the side seams. Instead made a seperate band tie that went all round the front to tie at the back. Think I rather it with a belt tho.
Things I like about this make
- My pattern matching at the back around the zip. Such satisfaction.
- I think the fit makes it comfy but flattering, with a wider waist and a tie this would be the case even more so
Things I don’t love quite as much
- The front gapes out a bit at the neckline rather than sitting against my chest. I think next time I’d best take some width out of the front in the middle which I could afford to do cos this one the neckline is quite. a wide square.
- How wonky my hem has become. Because I didn’t wait and hang my circle skirt before hemming it. Whose fault is that? Mine. It is entirely mine.