I made a coat! My very first coat! I’m so happy with how it turned out I could burst!
I have been itching to make the Chloe coat since Sew Over It released it as a class pattern (was it last year?) so when it was release as an online course I snapped it up and had it printed off on release day.
I used some very pretty wool which I’ve had in my stash for about 3 years. The wool is quite unusual, I’d describe it as a fine boucle in a pale blue and pink with a metallic pink thread running through it. The lining is a pale pink satin with giant pineapples.
I’m usually a 12B-14W&H in Sew Over It patterns, so after watching the videos and reading the fitting pdfs I decided to cut a straight size 12. This was the correct size for my shoulder measurement and based on the finished garment measurements I was happy that there would be enough room for my waist and hips. Its not an overly fitted coat so I decided to cut straight into my wool without sewing a toile! Three years was long enough to wait, why waste more time right?
The pattern is in pdf format and it is 80+ pages long which was a little off putting because it took a couple of nights to stick together and cut out all the pieces. Then I spent another couple of nights cutting all the fabric, lining and interfacing then fusing the interfacing. There is a lot of preparation to do, so when it came to sewing it all together it was pretty fast.
The online class is excellent. There is a video for each stage alongside written instructions should you need them (I did not refer to them). Plus there are other videos and pdfs with lots of information on how to measure yourself, what types of fabric you can use and what to avoid, grading between sizes, lenghtening/shortening plus a demonstration on how and why you should press wool using a clapper. Note, I don’t have a clapper so I just used some clean and smooth 2×4 wood left over from some building work.
The only problem I had was when it came to pocket construction. The lining piece on my pattern was too small (it looked different to Lisa’s pocket in the video). So I emailed Sew Over It and was sent the correct piece straight away.
I think I may have stretched out the back of the neck when pressing after the under stitching and it took a couple of attempts to get the coat hem and facing sewn nicely. Plus I chose to avoid the zip and use poppers. So in the end I didn’t find it to be an overly complicated project.
It was such a joy to sew and the whole process was a lot less daunting because Lisa virtually holds your hand every step of the way. I’d thoroughly recommend it if you are new to sewing coats.