2 replies, 2 voices Last updated by  sunnie 3 months ago
  • Author

sunnie
    Participant
    @sunnie

Hello, I’ve experienced a problem while trying to sew a scalloped stitch for the edge of a dress. The machine I use is a Singer 132Q, and it’s almost 20 years old. A few months ago, all of the stitches were working fine, but when I tried switching from a straight stitch today it wouldn’t change. After some manipulating, I managed to get the zigzag stitch to work, and a blind stitch to work. However, those are the only stitches working when there should be six others. I took apart the machine and tried to oil it, but I wasn’t sure what parts to oil, and it still does not work. I also attempted to clean some of the dust off, but that did nothing.
    If anyone has any suggestions of how to get the machine working again, it would be greatly appreciated! If at all possible, I would like to avoid buying a new machine. Thank you!

lilibet666
    Participant
    @lilibet666

I looked up some reviews on this machine & they are quite mixed. It appears to be a lightweight machine produced for the lower price range market. Inside there are gears which assist in the switching between stitches. These are made of plastic according to one reviewer & they wear. You could either ditch the machine or take it to a sewing machine repair shop s see what they say. They may be able to get it working for you. A service can cost anywhere from ₤30 upwards.
    Good luck with it.
    Lizzie.

sunnie
      Participant
      @sunnie

Although this is not the news I would have liked to hear, your reply is greatly appreciated. I hadn’t thought about looking online for reviews to find more information on the machine, but I suppose now I have an answer as to why it’s not working. Thank you!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.