22 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Profile photo of petitange petitange 1 week ago
  • Author
    Profile photo of petitange
    petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Is anyone joining Goodbye Valentino’s 2018 Ready to Wear Fast? You can find details here.

I’m trying to decide whether to join or not. I better hurry up and decide as the closing date to join is 31st Dec.

Profile photo of mishe
    mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Hi petitange, I just signed up for TFL and saw your post. Coincidentally, I signed up for the RTW2018 a few days ago, after hearing about it from a friend who also signed up. I’m definitely a beginner sewer and do not sew much, but I knit so between the two I am hoping that I can somehow survive the fast. You should definitely sign up too! I think it’ll be fun to do it as a group!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe, I had just about decided when I saw your message so I think you have convinced me to sign up. I have a wardrobe (and more) full of clothes so I think this will be a good exercise to force me to look at what I have and either wear it, refashion or give it away. I also have a large stash of fabrics so hopefully I can reduce this too. It will also help me make garments I need rather than those I like the look of and end up wearing once. At least we can buy shoes! We can encourage each other. 🙂

Profile photo of mishe
    mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Happy New Year! Did you sign up?
    What are you planning to make for your January French jacket?

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe
    Happy New Year to you too. Yes I signed up, just waiting for details to come through. I’ve had a confirmation email but nothing further and I’ve joined the Facebook group. Is a French jacket a suggested make for January? I was starting to make sewing plans for this year but have been ill the last couple of days so nothing has been done yet. 🙁 I’m going to go through my wardrobe and decide where the gaps are. I also have several UFO’s so am going to get them finished first. What about you?

Profile photo of mishe
      mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

I also received an email from Sarah several days ago but nothing since. I’ve been on a FB fast for many years now so I’m hoping to participate in this challenge without having to re-ignite my FB account. I’m hoping she will post updates and instructions on her website site or via Instagram…

Coincidentally, I’ve been sick in bed since ringing in 2018 too. Admittedly, there was too much Champagne, wine and food, but I also seemed to have caught a cold or flu. Today is the first day I could drag myself out of bed and get back online. My brain isn’t as fussy as it was all this week. I swear, it wasn’t just too much Champagne consumption. I love that you’re going through your wardrobe to identify gaps. That’s a smart approach. I was planning to just identify the things I want to make and add to my wardrobe. In terms of purging and letting go, I have much room for improvement; I have more clothes and things than I really need or want…

As for the French jacket theme for January, my friend mentioned it to me but I haven’t seen anything from Sarah about it. So, maybe I’m wrong? Have you heard anything?

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe,

Sorry to hear you’ve been ill too, hope you are feeling better now. This is the first day I’ve felt more normal and thinking more clearly. I have now received emails from 2018 RTW Fast/Sarah Gunn with my membership number and details of the challenge. I have a better idea now. She will be posting details on her blog and any prize winners. It looks like winners have to claim their prize pretty pronto or it will go to someone else so I have signed up to her blog posts too so I don’t miss anything. I have also joined the FB page although I tend to use IG more.

I found out that the French jacket theme is something GV does each January and is not connected with RTW Fast but some members are using this as their first make.

I haven’t made a start on my wardrobe sort out. I’m so behind with things because of being ill, I haven’t even taken my Xmas decs. down yet. I have a book called The Curated Closet which is all about sorting out your wardrobe. I’m going to use this to help me be more methodical about it. I am busy at work but have been using spare time to try and get some sort of sewing planner drawn up with possible makes, patterns to use etc. I think the first things on my sewing table will be my WIP’s – a kimono robe and a couple of Valley blouses (Cali Faye pattern). These are items I had already identified as needed so that will be a good start.

What about you?

K x

Profile photo of mishe
      mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

@petitange, yes I also received the latest updates from Sarah. I am really relieved that the fast is not too rigid. The fact that each of us can decide what to make really makes it more manageable and doable for me.

Admittedly I am feeling much better but I am still not 100%. As a result, I haven’t had the full energy to get back into my craft room and think about sewing.

I do want to make something for January and, in line with the French jacket that some other fasters are sewing, I’m swatching to knit a jacket. I chose to knit as opposed to sew because I am heading on holiday next week and I will be away from home for two weeks. Knitting is more transportable than sewing so I could get a few rows done in between skiing and socializing. I am not expert enough to sew something up in a day or two like others probably could.

A bathrobe is one of the first items of clothing that I actually need. I’m imaging something lightweight, absorbent and warm but I have not yet identified a pattern or fabric…I’m very curious to see your finished kimono robe. Which pattern are you using?

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

Hi @miche,

Hope you have a great holiday in the mountains. Good idea to take some knitting, it’s much more portable. What pattern are you using for your jacket? I am currently knitting a Bernadette cardigan in a mohair/silk mix. I’m knitting with 5 balls of yarn at once and it tends to get tangled so I have had a rest from it over Christmas and will pick it up again now.

For my kimono robe, I was going to use the Suki kimono from Helen’s Closet as I’ve read nothing but good reports about this pattern. Then found I already had a free pattern for something similar in an old issue of Sew magazine so am using that. I am using a polyester printed satin which looks lovely but is a pain to cut and sew as it slips a lot. I think I will be finishing this first as in theory it’s an easier sew as it doesn’t really require any fitting. Named Clothing has just published a robe pattern too so you might be interested in that one.

Profile photo of mishe
      mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

What a coincidence; I’m also using 5 skeins of yarn, for the first time. I’m not normally a big needle knitter but as I was experimenting with fabric and gauge, I went from holding 2 skeins to getting gauge with only 5 yarns together. 🙁 The fibers are wool, kid mohair, merino, and alpaca. I’m using Purl Soho’s classic jacket pattern. It’s definitely a departure from my normal knitting but I’ll see how it turns out. I’ve been trying to push myself to try different things this year! 🙂

Both the Suki and the robe from Named look nice. I have no experience sewing up patterns from either of them so curious to figure out which might be better. I vaguely recall reading that the Named Clothing patterns might run big. Do you have experience with either?

@fionio: how nice that you also signed up to fast!

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@mishe I like that pattern. I have the Wool and the Gang Viviene cardigan pattern for my next project which is a similar shape. For my current project I’m using Drops Kid-Silk. I got the pattern for the Bernadette cardigan off Ravelry, it was only in Dutch but managed to find someone who had knitted it and given some English instructions. It knits up pretty quickly as it’s on 9mm needles. I haven’t knitted for years so this was to easy me back into it but I think I should have chosen a more straight forward pattern published pattern.

I haven’t made any of Named patterns but I have got the Blackwood cardigan from Helen’s Closet and the instructions are really good. I know she also has done a sew-along for the Suki.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Profile photo of petitange petitange.
      Profile photo of mishe
      mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

Both the Bernadette and Vivienne are nice cardigans, which would be great in Alpaca.

I am thinking seriously to add the Named Clothing robe to my list of things to sew for the year. Just trying to decide what type of fabric would be best for a robe… DH suggested that I buy a bunch of towels and use that as my fabric. I fear that would be too heavy. I would like something lightweight, warm and absorbent. Any suggestions for a suitable robe fabric?

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@miche the obvious choice of fabric for the robe would be a cotton towelling or velour but it will be heavy. Alternatively, what about a fleece fabric? The only downside is that any synthetic will not be absorbent. I have a RTW fleece bath robe which is lovely and warm and cuddly. It’s not absorbant but as I towel dry before I put it on, it’s not been a problem.

Profile photo of mishe
      mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

You raise a good point about weight and absorbency. It’s challenging to find a lightweight material that is absorbent. Ideally, I think I need two robes: 1 for after bathing or sauna in cotton toweling and another for just lounging about in silk or linen. 🙂 But I don’t want to sew two robes. 🙁

I try to avoid synthetics whenever I can because 1. it doesn’t breathe 2. static electricity in the dry months.

I have lots of linen stash that I want to use up, maybe I will do a toile in that and then work up to something more drapey like silk. I haven’t sewn with silk yet and I am afraid that it’ll be too slippery for me to manage. Are you experienced with silk sewing?

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@miche Linen or silk would work well for a summer weight robe. If you only want one robe, what about a lightweight cotton velour, this would be soft and absorbent.

Profile photo of fionio
    fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

Brilliant! So pleased there are people on here also signed up to the challenge! I did this from October 16 – October 17 not knowing there were challenges out there, I found it so much easier than I expected ….. but I had allowed myself purchases from charity shops!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Well done @fionio and for doing it solo. Have you signed up too or are you having a break from a rtw fast?

Profile photo of fionio
    fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange I have signed up again! I probably won’t complete the French Jacket challenge in January as I’m trying to prioritise my sewing this year. I don’t really need a French jacket, even though I have the Sew Over It Coco pattern and some suitable fabric at the ready.

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@fionio – yay another Faster! My aim too is to sew garments I need in my wardrobe rather than follow someone else’s list.

Profile photo of fionio
    fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange Mine too! I’ve also read the Curated Closet and intend to sew only clothes I need and I’ll enjoy wearing! Work clothes and a wedding outfit are top priority this year ….. and jeans, must sew jeans!

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@fionio I have yet to read The Curated Closet but I have had a look through. Did you find it really useful?

Profile photo of fionio
    fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange Surprisingly so! Whilst I didn’t do all the suggested exercises, I found it very helpful to concentrate my sewing plans on the type of clothes I need and am going to enjoy wearing. Let me know what you think of it!

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@fionio will do, it sounds just what I need. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.