62 replies, 3 voices Last updated by  petitange 2 months ago
  • Author

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Is anyone joining Goodbye Valentino’s 2018 Ready to Wear Fast? You can find details here.

I’m trying to decide whether to join or not. I better hurry up and decide as the closing date to join is 31st Dec.

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Hi petitange, I just signed up for TFL and saw your post. Coincidentally, I signed up for the RTW2018 a few days ago, after hearing about it from a friend who also signed up. I’m definitely a beginner sewer and do not sew much, but I knit so between the two I am hoping that I can somehow survive the fast. You should definitely sign up too! I think it’ll be fun to do it as a group!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe, I had just about decided when I saw your message so I think you have convinced me to sign up. I have a wardrobe (and more) full of clothes so I think this will be a good exercise to force me to look at what I have and either wear it, refashion or give it away. I also have a large stash of fabrics so hopefully I can reduce this too. It will also help me make garments I need rather than those I like the look of and end up wearing once. At least we can buy shoes! We can encourage each other. πŸ™‚

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Happy New Year! Did you sign up?
    What are you planning to make for your January French jacket?

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe
    Happy New Year to you too. Yes I signed up, just waiting for details to come through. I’ve had a confirmation email but nothing further and I’ve joined the Facebook group. Is a French jacket a suggested make for January? I was starting to make sewing plans for this year but have been ill the last couple of days so nothing has been done yet. πŸ™ I’m going to go through my wardrobe and decide where the gaps are. I also have several UFO’s so am going to get them finished first. What about you?

mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

I also received an email from Sarah several days ago but nothing since. I’ve been on a FB fast for many years now so I’m hoping to participate in this challenge without having to re-ignite my FB account. I’m hoping she will post updates and instructions on her website site or via Instagram…

Coincidentally, I’ve been sick in bed since ringing in 2018 too. Admittedly, there was too much Champagne, wine and food, but I also seemed to have caught a cold or flu. Today is the first day I could drag myself out of bed and get back online. My brain isn’t as fussy as it was all this week. I swear, it wasn’t just too much Champagne consumption. I love that you’re going through your wardrobe to identify gaps. That’s a smart approach. I was planning to just identify the things I want to make and add to my wardrobe. In terms of purging and letting go, I have much room for improvement; I have more clothes and things than I really need or want…

As for the French jacket theme for January, my friend mentioned it to me but I haven’t seen anything from Sarah about it. So, maybe I’m wrong? Have you heard anything?

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe,

Sorry to hear you’ve been ill too, hope you are feeling better now. This is the first day I’ve felt more normal and thinking more clearly. I have now received emails from 2018 RTW Fast/Sarah Gunn with my membership number and details of the challenge. I have a better idea now. She will be posting details on her blog and any prize winners. It looks like winners have to claim their prize pretty pronto or it will go to someone else so I have signed up to her blog posts too so I don’t miss anything. I have also joined the FB page although I tend to use IG more.

I found out that the French jacket theme is something GV does each January and is not connected with RTW Fast but some members are using this as their first make.

I haven’t made a start on my wardrobe sort out. I’m so behind with things because of being ill, I haven’t even taken my Xmas decs. down yet. I have a book called The Curated Closet which is all about sorting out your wardrobe. I’m going to use this to help me be more methodical about it. I am busy at work but have been using spare time to try and get some sort of sewing planner drawn up with possible makes, patterns to use etc. I think the first things on my sewing table will be my WIP’s – a kimono robe and a couple of Valley blouses (Cali Faye pattern). These are items I had already identified as needed so that will be a good start.

What about you?

K x

mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

@petitange, yes I also received the latest updates from Sarah. I am really relieved that the fast is not too rigid. The fact that each of us can decide what to make really makes it more manageable and doable for me.

Admittedly I am feeling much better but I am still not 100%. As a result, I haven’t had the full energy to get back into my craft room and think about sewing.

I do want to make something for January and, in line with the French jacket that some other fasters are sewing, I’m swatching to knit a jacket. I chose to knit as opposed to sew because I am heading on holiday next week and I will be away from home for two weeks. Knitting is more transportable than sewing so I could get a few rows done in between skiing and socializing. I am not expert enough to sew something up in a day or two like others probably could.

A bathrobe is one of the first items of clothing that I actually need. I’m imaging something lightweight, absorbent and warm but I have not yet identified a pattern or fabric…I’m very curious to see your finished kimono robe. Which pattern are you using?

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

Hi @miche,

Hope you have a great holiday in the mountains. Good idea to take some knitting, it’s much more portable. What pattern are you using for your jacket? I am currently knitting a Bernadette cardigan in a mohair/silk mix. I’m knitting with 5 balls of yarn at once and it tends to get tangled so I have had a rest from it over Christmas and will pick it up again now.

For my kimono robe, I was going to use the Suki kimono from Helen’s Closet as I’ve read nothing but good reports about this pattern. Then found I already had a free pattern for something similar in an old issue of Sew magazine so am using that. I am using a polyester printed satin which looks lovely but is a pain to cut and sew as it slips a lot. I think I will be finishing this first as in theory it’s an easier sew as it doesn’t really require any fitting. Named Clothing has just published a robe pattern too so you might be interested in that one.

mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

What a coincidence; I’m also using 5 skeins of yarn, for the first time. I’m not normally a big needle knitter but as I was experimenting with fabric and gauge, I went from holding 2 skeins to getting gauge with only 5 yarns together. πŸ™ The fibers are wool, kid mohair, merino, and alpaca. I’m using Purl Soho’s classic jacket pattern. It’s definitely a departure from my normal knitting but I’ll see how it turns out. I’ve been trying to push myself to try different things this year! πŸ™‚

Both the Suki and the robe from Named look nice. I have no experience sewing up patterns from either of them so curious to figure out which might be better. I vaguely recall reading that the Named Clothing patterns might run big. Do you have experience with either?

@fionio: how nice that you also signed up to fast!

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@mishe I like that pattern. I have the Wool and the Gang Viviene cardigan pattern for my next project which is a similar shape. For my current project I’m using Drops Kid-Silk. I got the pattern for the Bernadette cardigan off Ravelry, it was only in Dutch but managed to find someone who had knitted it and given some English instructions. It knits up pretty quickly as it’s on 9mm needles. I haven’t knitted for years so this was to easy me back into it but I think I should have chosen a more straight forward pattern published pattern.

I haven’t made any of Named patterns but I have got the Blackwood cardigan from Helen’s Closet and the instructions are really good. I know she also has done a sew-along for the Suki.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  petitange.

mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

Both the Bernadette and Vivienne are nice cardigans, which would be great in Alpaca.

I am thinking seriously to add the Named Clothing robe to my list of things to sew for the year. Just trying to decide what type of fabric would be best for a robe… DH suggested that I buy a bunch of towels and use that as my fabric. I fear that would be too heavy. I would like something lightweight, warm and absorbent. Any suggestions for a suitable robe fabric?

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@miche the obvious choice of fabric for the robe would be a cotton towelling or velour but it will be heavy. Alternatively, what about a fleece fabric? The only downside is that any synthetic will not be absorbent. I have a RTW fleece bath robe which is lovely and warm and cuddly. It’s not absorbant but as I towel dry before I put it on, it’s not been a problem.

mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

You raise a good point about weight and absorbency. It’s challenging to find a lightweight material that is absorbent. Ideally, I think I need two robes: 1 for after bathing or sauna in cotton toweling and another for just lounging about in silk or linen. πŸ™‚ But I don’t want to sew two robes. πŸ™

I try to avoid synthetics whenever I can because 1. it doesn’t breathe 2. static electricity in the dry months.

I have lots of linen stash that I want to use up, maybe I will do a toile in that and then work up to something more drapey like silk. I haven’t sewn with silk yet and I am afraid that it’ll be too slippery for me to manage. Are you experienced with silk sewing?

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@miche Linen or silk would work well for a summer weight robe. If you only want one robe, what about a lightweight cotton velour, this would be soft and absorbent.

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

Brilliant! So pleased there are people on here also signed up to the challenge! I did this from October 16 – October 17 not knowing there were challenges out there, I found it so much easier than I expected ….. but I had allowed myself purchases from charity shops!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Well done @fionio and for doing it solo. Have you signed up too or are you having a break from a rtw fast?

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange I have signed up again! I probably won’t complete the French Jacket challenge in January as I’m trying to prioritise my sewing this year. I don’t really need a French jacket, even though I have the Sew Over It Coco pattern and some suitable fabric at the ready.

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@fionio – yay another Faster! My aim too is to sew garments I need in my wardrobe rather than follow someone else’s list.

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange Mine too! I’ve also read the Curated Closet and intend to sew only clothes I need and I’ll enjoy wearing! Work clothes and a wedding outfit are top priority this year ….. and jeans, must sew jeans!

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@fionio I have yet to read The Curated Closet but I have had a look through. Did you find it really useful?

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange Surprisingly so! Whilst I didn’t do all the suggested exercises, I found it very helpful to concentrate my sewing plans on the type of clothes I need and am going to enjoy wearing. Let me know what you think of it!

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

@fionio will do, it sounds just what I need. πŸ™‚

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Hello @petitange and @fionio! How are your RTW fast projects going?

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe,

Slowly πŸ˜‚ I’ve made a start on a Valley blouse and am about 1/2 way there. I’ve not had much time for sewing this month but have done a lot of planning so I have a clearer idea of what to make.

How about you,

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

Hi @mishe @petitange,

Slow for me too! I finished the Named Pattern Quinn shirt this weekend … I’ve yet to take a photo, my first attempt at a collared and cuffed shirt and I’m pleased with the result! Also managed to cut out the Schnitten Catrina sweatshirt, which I’ll work on tonight and the StyleArc Ethel pants (for a toile).

@petitange – has the Curated Closet helped with the planning?

@mishe – how are yours going?

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @fionio,

It sounds like you’re storming ahead with your makes. πŸ™‚ I look forward to seeing your Quinn shirt. I’ve started reading the CC book but not got very far with it and haven’t really attacked my wardrobe yet. However, I have been critical of what I’m wearing, both styles and colours and if I don’t think it works etc. then it’s goes in the charity bag. I am taking part in the #2018MakeNine challenge too as a way to focus my makes. I have found this really useful to think about what I need and what I’m making. I have a few makes already in the pipeline so working my way through those first.

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

Hi @petitange,

Also participating in the #2018MakeNine (for exactly the same reasons as you!) And the #sewmystyle2018 although the first 2 patterns for the year are not for me! I’ve just found you on Instagram and requested a follow!

@mishe – are you on Instagram too?

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @fionio,

I think the #2018MakeNine will help keep me focused and nine patterns/makes is do-able.

I have two Instagram accounts – one personal for family (@petitangefrance) and the other is my sewing one which is @sewingbyheart. I wanted to change the name on here to sewingbyheart but it won’t let me without deleting this one and then I would lose all my conversation etc.. So it’s a bit confusing, I know. I’ve just followed you so you will see my account. πŸ™‚

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Hello ladies,
    Boy, you two have been busy with your planning and sewing projects. I just returned home and am unpacking and getting settled, and trying to remember what I was planning to sew up before I left for the holidays.

I’m slowly making progress on my knitted quasi-Chanel-inspired jacket. I’ve got most of the body done but I’m now trying to swatch out different finishing options. Decisions, decisions…
    I would love to post a photo here to get your opinions, but I’m unsure how to do that…

On Instagram, I am gogofeet. I just found you, sewingbyheart. @fionio, what is your Instagram handle?

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@mishe ….. been somewhere lovely? I’ve found you and followed you on Instagram. I’m @fionio on there too.

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi again,

@fionio – think we’ve now found each other in IG, sorry for the confusion.

@mishe – hope you enjoyed your skiing holiday, did you get much of you knitted jacket done? Or was there too much aprΓ¨s ski! 😁 I’ve now connected to you on IG too. Love the yarn you’re using for your jacket.

I was planning on starting with my kimono but decided to prioritise the projects that I need most first so I’m 1/2way through the Valley blouse which I had already cut out about 5 months ago. πŸ™„ It’s looking OK so far but the fabric (Swiss voile) is very thin so I will need to wear it with a cami until the warmer weather arrives. This is a wearable toile as the fabric was in the sales. Hopefully, it won’t need too much tweaking as it’s a loose fit.

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Just returned from Livigno, Italy, where we were literally snowed in and cut off from the outside world for a few days. Fortunately, the northern pass thru Switzerland opened back up the night before we were to depart. Some of us wondered if they closed it up because of all the dignitaries in Davos…We’ll never know for sure… Certainly lots of helicopters and military…

Unfortunately, between skiing, massage, sauna and too much aprΓ¨s ski activities (wine, wine, wine), my three knitting projects spent most of the holiday in their bags, tucked in the closet. I did knit a few rows on my jacket but I did not accomplish as much as I had hoped. It would have been perfect to wear in the snow in the Alps but now that I’m back in Poland, where it feels like early spring, I’m not as excited to finish it. The weather feels just too warm and too depressing for an ultra-bulky mohair/merino/baby alpaca affair.

The Quinn shirt and the Valley blouse sound more reasonable for the current temps.

Is it too late to join the 2018makenine challenge? It sounds great and might help me to focus and prioritize better…

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Glad you had a nice trip. Maybe there were other forces at work in keeping the populace at bay. πŸ™‚ Isn’t it often the way that all good plans of having time to do projects while away, go out the window when you arrive. I can’t tell you how many times I take some knitting, crochet or embroidery and bearly do a stitch.

Although the weather is a bit chilly here, I haven’t felt like doing any more of my cardigan as the multi yarns were proving a hassle. I need to tackle it when I’m in a better frame of mind. πŸ™‚

I don’t think it’s too late to join in 2018MakeNine, when I looked at it I couldn’t find any cut-off, I think it’s just a voluntary commitment to focus the mind on making 9 things. It doesn’t have to be just sewing, but anything craft-based. It certainly has helped to focus me more.

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@mishe definitely not too late!

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Yes, petitange, working with multi yarns can be quite a hassle. If I ever finish my jacket, I will be happy to move onto something using a single yarn.

fionio, i am intrigued by your Strandcoat and might include that in my 2018nine too. Have you used Merchant & Mills patterns before? I have seen their pieces at festivals but have not yet taken the plunge to try one of their patterns…

petitange, i like your blackwoolcardigan and might add that to my list too…Have you decided what fabric you will use for yours?

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

@mishe I’m going to use a dark purple knit I bought from Sewisfaction when I was in the UK. I’m planning on making a long version.

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@mishe I have! I’ve made the dress shirt as a dress and a shirt. Also the heron wrap top from the book. I tricked my other half into a camping trip in Rye – purely so I could visit the Merchant & Mills shop. They have some of the patterns made up there and I tried on the Strand and loved it on …. just so you know they do come up large. I’m normally a 12 -14 and the coat I tried on was a 10 which fitted well. I’ve a trip to Stornoway coming up – so intend to get some Harris tweed for the Strand while there!

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

@petitange, the cardigan in dark purple sounds like a nice colour to go with other outfits. I’ve not been brave enough to try sewing with knits yet.:-(
    @fionio, when I was living in London, I wanted to do a hiking trip to Dover for a weekend just so that we could randomly stop over in Rye and visit the M&M shop on the way back. Unfortunately, we never made it to Dover or Rye. πŸ™ I would love to visit their shop. I’ve made a mental note that their sizes run big. Thanks!

Your trip to Harris Tweed sounds great! I wanted to visit Lewis when we were vacationing in Skye but we just didn’t have enough time to ferry over. Sewing your Strand in Harris Tweed sounds like a great idea! I’m heading to the Shetlands this year for Wool Week. I’m hoping to get some interesting fibers then. I usually think in terms of yarn but now that I’m trying to increase my sewing, I’ll have to plan and consider fabrics too.

Here’s a photo of my jacket so far…

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe,

Knits are not difficult to sew. I take my time and make sure I have a ball point needle in the machine and overlocker. πŸ™‚

I’m very envious of your Harris Tweed trip @fionio, it’s somewhere I was due to visit when I was working in the trade but never managed it. It’s on my list to visit one day. I recently read a trilogy by Peter May set in the islands and this piqued my interest even more. They are murder mysteries but the description of the islands is very innovative.

@mishe – wool week sounds interesting, I’d not heard about it before so looked it up. I’m sure you will find lots of goodies. I couldn’t see a photo of your jacket, can you see it or is it just me that can’t?

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@mishe I can’t see the photo either! Have you been to Shetland before – I have very fond memories of a trip made over 30 years ago!!
    @petitange I’m in Lewis for 3 days …. wedding and then for some distilleries and mills! Also the other half wants a Harris tweed jacket so he’ll be happy to accompany me!

All this talking of knitting…. makes me want to take pick up the needles and start!

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

I’m an idiot. That’s what happens when I get online before my cup of Java has started to wake up my body and mind.

Can you see the photo now?

Attachments:

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Oh this is lovely @mishe. Looks really cosy and like the colours, especially the touch of lime.

I saw this on IG yesterday, it’s a Yates coat but like the tweed she’s used.

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

The link didn’t show, hopefully it will this time. Yates Coat

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

@petitange, thank you. Yes, it’s very cozy and warm, almost too cozy and warm for the unseasonably warm temps we are experiencing in Warsaw right now. I need to plan a trip to Iceland or something so that I can wear the sweater.
    @fionio, Wow; Shetland must have been very different 30 years ago. Were there lots of sheep? I’ve never been to that island before but its remoteness appeals to me. After I booked the trip, my hubby found out that we would be there during a wool festival. He asked surprisingly, ‘what a strange coincidence that a wool festival is taking place on a remote island the week we will be there.’ I just answered, “Yelp, lucky coincidence, eh.”;-)

Has anyone seen the BBC series Shetland? I watched it recently on youtube after I heard about it from some other knitters who are also heading to the SWW. I wonder how the crime stories compare to the Lewis trilogy…I enjoy reading a book based in a location I will be visiting or have visited. I just finished listening to A Column of Fire and enjoyed it thoroughly. History was never my favorite subject but Ken Follett’s books usually pique my interest.

Jen’s doing a sewalong for the Yates coat, which is very inspiring, but I don’t think the double-breasted look is flattering on me. Are you thinking about the Yates coat?

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange I don’t remember any sheep, but as my first full time job was literally counting sheep coming in from Shetland and Orkney …. there must be lots. I’m currently obsessing about getting to Orkney one day!

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@mishe …. just seen your pic! That’s a beaut – love the colours. Also think it was you that asked about sheep!

@petitange …. I spotted that picture of the Yates coat on Instagram too – looks gorgeous in that fabric – but I’m the same, double-breasted is not for me.

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @mishe,

I haven’t managed to get a trip arranged around an event but do always look to see if there are any fabric/haberdashery shops nearby or maybe a museum/exhibition that’s clothing or sewing related.

I’ve watched all the Shetland series and have been thinking of reading the books. I usually listen rather than read a book us I can do it while I work (or sew πŸ™‚ ). I too like to read a book set in a place I’m visiting, it brings it so much to life. I enjoyed the Lewis trilogy by Peter May and also a couple of books by Chris Ould based in the Faroe Islands. Can you see a theme here?! Both writers describe the islands so well. I like the Swedish thrillers/murder mysteries and have migrated on to these as they came up in my recommendations. I have also listened to a couple of books by Quentin Bates that are set in Iceland but I didn’t like them as much. I was looking at the Ann Cleeves Sheltand books but was a little put off by the reviews and wondered if I would not like them because I would be comparing them to the tv series. Also book 1 doesn’t seem to be available on Audible and I don’t really want to listen to book 2 first.

If you want a couple of dressmaking-related books, I can recommend The Dress by Kate Kerrigan, The Dressmaker of Dachau by Mary Chamberlain and The Dress Thief by Natalie Meg Evans.

I tend to get hooked on a theme and listen to several books and then go on to something else. πŸ™‚

I have a coat/jacket as one of my Make Nine and the Yates coat is one pattern I’m looking at. I don’t mind if it’s single or double breasted but I do like the pockets particularly on the Yates.

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange thanks for the book recommendations. I’m putting the books on my Amazon wishlist! My interest is particularly spiked by the Dressmaker of Dachau …. I used to live in Munich so visited Dachau a number of times!

I

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

@fionio it’s a good book but a bit harrowing in places as you can imagine. I won’t spoil it by going into details but if you read it, let me know what you think and I’ll give you my views on it. πŸ™‚

The Orkney Islands are on my list to visit too. I have a cousin who has lived there for almost 40 years. From the photos I’ve seen, it looks beautiful and a bit wild weather-wise. She spent a summer on an archaeological dig in Orkney when she was at uni, fell in love and eloped to Orkney when she finished her degree. My aunt and uncle were heartbroken. They live in the New Forest so almost as far as you can get from Orkney. She’s now divorced from her husband but decided to stay there as she loved it so much.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  petitange.

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

@petitange, the dress thief would have been a nice read whilst I was living temporarily in Paris last year. I’ll have to remember the Chris Ould book for my next trip to Faroe. Whilst visiting Faroe I was looking for a good book but the only ones I could find were in Danish or Swedish, neither of which I speak.

@fionio, thanks!

Orkney is also on my list. I heard about the sheep that feed on algae from Kathy’s Knits in Edinburgh and ever since then I’ve wanted to visit to see the sheep and the island. @petitange, I think you should visit your cousin. πŸ™‚

Have you heard when Shetland season 4 will be aired? I heard that it’s been filmed but haven’t seen it advertised on BBC One yet. I’m hoping they will feature more Shetland knitted garments.

petitange
      Participant
      @petitange

Hi @mishe and @fionio,

How are you getting on? I’ve finished by Valley blouse. It’s OK, but it’s irritated me slightly while making it, not sure why but could be to do with the fineness of the fabric being difficult to sew. Anyway, I’ve fallen out of love with it at the moment. I may grow to like it better when the weather warms up as it’s too cold to wear it at the moment.

I don’t know if you know but the new series of Shetland started last week on the BBC. Episode 2 is on Tues at 21.00 (UK), episode 1 will be available on iplayer.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Karen.

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Hi @petitange, sorry to hear that you’re not as pleased with your blouse as you had hoped. I hope that with warm weather, you will enjoy your blouse better. πŸ™‚

Thanks for letting me know about Shetland Season4. I watched it and am curious to see the next episode tomorrow.

My sewing/knitting has been on hiatus recently. I blame the lackluster gray sky that has overshadowed Warsaw since my return from sunny Italy. There has been no light or sun outside and it certainly seems to be affecting my mood. I need a mental escape so I’ve been listening to audiobooks, reading and doing yoga more than knitting or sewing. Fortunately, I’m flying to the US in a few days to visit family and friends and hoping the trip will brighten me up a lot. I hope to return to Warsaw with a brighter outlook. Unfortunately, that means no sewing until mid-March, but perhaps a knitting project that I can work on during the long flights. I have not yet identified a travel project but need to do so today or tomorrow. It’ll probably be an accessory like a hat or cowl. I don’t like to travel with too much luggage so taking enough yarn for a garment is out of the question. And of course, I need space in my carryon to bring back some US yarn. πŸ™‚

What are you working on now? How about you, @fionio? Hope you’re both well.

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

Hello @mishe @petitange I’m good! I’ll look out for the new Shetland series – thanks for the heads up!

I’ve just finished the Schnittchen Catrin sweatshirt which I’ve been living in ever since! Also finished a toile of the StyleArc Ethel pants – which I’ll size down on next time. Been racing around a lot recently so have yet to take photos. My next project is an outfit for the wedding in Stornoway ….. I want to make something very similar to a Vampire’s wife dress – I’m toileing (is there such a word?!) a Burda pattern that I think I’ll be able to hack fairly easily into something similar! Fingers crossed!

@mishe – enjoy the trip to the States – I hope it does the trick!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi

I’m sure I will like the blouse better when it’s a bit warmer. It also feels a bit large on me. I think I was looking forward to making this blouse for a while and perhaps it hasn’t lived up to my expectations. I haven’t taken any photos yet but will post them when I do.

Sometimes you have an idea in your head of how a garment is going to look and are disappointed when it doesn’t quite look the same when you’ve made it. Sorry to hear you’ve lost your sewing/knitting mojo at the moment @mishe. I agree the weather doesn’t help. I’m craving some sunshine. I’m sure your visit to the US will lift your spirits. I try and take a not too taxing project when I travel as I know I will not have the time or concentration. A hat or cowl sounds like a good idea. I’m hoping to start knitting a shawl at some point this year. The lightweight type you can wear as a scarf or throw. Perhaps something like this would be good. Where are you going in the States? Will you have much time for some sewing/knitting related shopping? I would love to visit some of the places I see on blogs and social media. One day…… πŸ™‚

@fionio I haven’t made any Schnittchen patterns. What are they like? I looked up that pattern and it’s a lovely loose fitting shape. I have the Grainline Linden sweatshirt on my to-do list. The dress for the wedding sounds intriguing, I look forward to seeing it.

I’ve just finished an apron as a present for a friend and decided I need to make something that doesn’t need much thought so have cut out an Ogden cami from an offcut I bought in the sales.

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange It was an easy pattern to follow and I love the shape of it. I’ll size down next time, the fabric I’d picked didn’t have enough stretch so I had to cut the neckline/hem/cuffs all a little longer to compensate. Because of the shape and size of it I’m constantly trying to put my hands in pockets (which aren’t there) – so next time I’ll make it with pockets.

The dress looks amazing …… in my head!!! So I really hope it works, as I don’t have a back up plan!

Is it the Califaye Valley blouse? I’ve made it too – but felt it was a little on the large size and wasn’t entirely happy with the finished garment – but having said that, I’ve worn it lots when on holiday!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi @fionio

Ah, pockets! It’s true what they say isn’t it? No garment is complete without pockets. πŸ™‚

What Burda pattern are you using for the basis of your “wedding” dress?

Yes, it is the Cali Faye Valley blouse. My feelings are the same as yours but I too expect to wear it when the weather warms up. Isn’t it disappointing when you imagine a garment in your head and have high expectations and the finished article falls way short of it?

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange it’s not a Burda – I got that wrong! It’s Vogue 9123 with an additional frill around the bottom and perhaps a higher neckline ……

mishe
    Participant
    @mishe

Yes, I really hope the trip back stateside will lift my spirits. If not, at least it’ll be closer to spring when I return. I’ll be visiting California, Oregon and Arizona, seeing and staying with friends in all locations. The only place I plan to have time for some yarn/fabric shopping is Portland, Oregon. I already know which shops I want to visit and I’ll only focus on buying local hand-dyed fibers. Because I am traveling with just carry-on luggage, I have to be very careful in my packing, which I need to do today. It’s a bit complicated because I will be in different climates and doing different activities including hiking, yoga, etc. I usually overpack and I’m really limiting myself on this trip with just carryon luggage. My hubby will meet me in Phoenix so I’m hoping to have him carry back some of my book or heavy purchases in his check-in luggage. I’m not sure about any fabric purchases. There will be some interesting shops in Portland that I want to check out, but unless it’s something amazing that I can not get in Europe, I will refrain. I have enough fabric stash. πŸ™‚ Traveling with only carry-on luggage is my self-induced attempt to limit my shopping spree stateside. I usually go overboard to the point of buying new luggage for all my purchases. Let’s see if I am better this time. πŸ™‚

I love pockets in garments too!

Ogden cami sounds like an easy one for you, @petitange. I’d like to try a cami one day and that looks like a nice pattern. I’m looking forward to seeing yours finished.

Good luck with the wedding dress hack @fionio! It sounds really exciting and I hope it turns out the way you imagine it. Looking forward to seeing photos.

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

Hi again,

@fionio – the vogue pattern is lovely. What fabric are you using? Will it be cold in Stornaway? Are you planning on making the coat as well? I’ve been thinking of making a dress similar to that for my father’s 80th birthday lunch. I have several similar patterns so will pin this one just in case I need it.

@mishe – you are very good, I’m not sure I could travel to the States with just hand luggage! When you are in California, will you be going to Los Angeles? I have always wanted to visit The Fabric Store (@wearethefabricstore) as it is often featured by lots of bloggers and designers for their lovely fabrics. Portland has a big sewing community.

The Ogden is a lovely simple pattern. It’s really versitle to wear, either on it’s own or layered, or with a cardigan. This will be the 7th time I’ve made it! You can see my other versions in the pattern review section on FL or my Instagram posts.

mishe
      Participant
      @mishe

You’ve both convinced me that I need to add the Ogden cami to my sewing list. I just need to find the time to sew!

Yes, I’m flying into/out of Los Angeles. Flying in I will only have time to meet my father for dinner before I fly out the next day for Portland. I bought a lot of fabric at TFS in Sydney in November so I’m not inclined to buy more in the U.S., but who knows. πŸ™‚ I’ll be staying longer in LA on my way out of the U.S, but LA is such a crazy city with really horrendous traffic that I may just stay on the coast with my friend and avoid the madness of the city, if I can help it. If we do drive into the city and get to TFS or any yarn shops, I’ll be sure to post a photo on Instagram. πŸ™‚

fionio
    Participant
    @fionio

@petitange I have some dark green raw silk I picked up in India that I hope to use – I may have to play around with the frills and substitute for pleats if the drape is not suitable. The wedding is all indoors, so no coat necessary!

Ogden cami …… I have 3 (so far)!

petitange
    Participant
    @petitange

@mishe – oh you definitely need Ogden in your stash, it’s such a useful pattern. I cut the one I’m making at the moment from just 60cm of fabric. Apart from being very wearable and a useful garment in your wardrobe, it’s a great stash buster. (I’m not associated with True Bias πŸ˜‚ just love the simple pattern).

I’m very envious of your trip and can totally understand why you would not want to deal with the LA traffic. Just remember that if you do @fionio and I will have our lists ready. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

@fionio – your dress is going to look stunning in the green silk.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.