Sew Reporter – 21 February
Hello Foldliners, how are you all today? Are you enjoying your Sunday so far? We’ve got some really cool stuff lined up for you today. We’ve added 2 new designers to the shop this week, there’s a fun challenge coming up in March, and we have filmed a video with pattern picks for BBC’s The Serpent. Alongside all the usual sewing inspiration of course! Enjoy and have a great weekend.
We can all agree that this top is utter perfection right? Montoya Mayo stitched a hacked version of Simplicity 8840 and we’re obsessed with those sleeves!
Helen aka Helen’s Closet made a short denim dress with patch pockets using her Ashton Top pattern. Such a clever hack, with a brilliant outcome.
Mimi G made another version of New Look 6581 and she smashed it out of the park! Head over to her blog to see the earlier versions and a sew-along video.
We love this pretty Valentines dress Allie Jackson made using Simplicity 4475. It’s so swishy!
This True Bias Marlo Sweater looks so warm and snuggly, we would totally understand if Mel at Mint Button would wear it 7 days a week!
How pretty is the new Fibre Mood Magazine Rozan Blouse, with all its interesting design features. Head over to Emily’s blog: at Self Assembly Required to read all about her black and white version.
Katie at What Katie Sews stitched a pair of Style Arc Kew Pants in black denim and we LOVE the look of these so much!
Wowzah! Erica Bunker made a Valentines dress using Simplicity 8870 and she looks STUNNING!
This Nina Lee Bakerloo Blouse is made by Cath @cath_craft and it’s gorgeous. She made it using a gorgeous Liberty lawn and you can read more about it in Cath’s pattern review on the site.
We are blown away by this amazing Paper Theory Patterns Olya Shirt by Jen @jenlegg_teescreatives! Want to know more? Pop over to Jen’s pattern review for more info and more snaps.
We are very lucky to have introduced not one, but two new designers to the shop this week. We welcomed Vanessa Hansen and her very first design; the Viva Tie jacket. And we’ve added all designs by Lydia from Made My Wardrobe too. Go browse our site to see them all, and let us know what you think!
Do you already have a specific design in mind? Or do you need some help finding the perfect pattern for your fabric? You can search all the patterns in our database using our sewing-specific search tool.
- Hands up if you watched The Serpent on the BBC recently? We’re sure many of you loved it as much as we did, as we have been inundated with emails asking us to hunt out the patterns from the show. You ask, we deliver! Come and see which patterns we’ve found!
- We always really enjoy catching up with Kealy of Voice Of A Creative and this time she is showing everything she has made in January.
Katie Kortman is organising Sew, Knit, and Wear Happy Color! This is THE challenge to experiment with colourful garments in your wardrobe and make new to you outfit combinations. Check out this post for more info, and let’s bring some happy colours to March!
- By Hand London is teaching you how to identify the fibres in your mystery fabric by doing a burn test! It’s a super interesting read and they’ve included a really helpful chart too. Highly recommended!
- Read about Zero Waste Sewing on the Sewcialists Blog. The article is written by Cris Wood and it’s called: Zero Waste Across Cultures — Rectangles on Display.
- Can’t find your tailors chalk? Ran out of fray check? Don’t want to spend money on more clips? We love these frugal alternatives to some regularly used sewing tools by Closet Core Patterns.
You might recognise Liz as one of the semi-finalists on The Great British Sewing Bee last year, or from her amazing Instagram account: @x_sewingpunk_x. Her style is 100% punk and we are totally into it! Here she is wearing her latest Helen’s Closet Yanta overalls. Don’t they look ace? Go give her a follow for more inspiration!
We recently added the gorgeous designs from Tammy Handmade to our pattern database. Tammy is a self-taught sewist and pattern designer from London with a great sense of style. Her two dress designs; the Rhea Dress and the Leona Dress are stunning and we can see these become a fan favourite in the sewing community this summer!
Come and join our sewing Facebook group where we are chatting about sewing plans, new patterns and helping each other out with projects.