The Sew Down – November
Welcome to The Sew Down where each month we bring you a run down of some of the interesting stuff we have found, bought, read and watched in the world of sewing. If you’re looking for something to watch or listen to while you sew then this vlog is for you..
We are delighted to welcome two British indie designers to the site this month. First up we have London based Trend patterns who have around 25 beautiful patterns to choose from. Her designs are well cut and stuffed full of interesting details, if you love a kooky shaped pattern piece then this company is for you! Next up we have Now & Then patterns who produce beautiful vintage inspired patterns. There are 12 patterns to choose from and we can’t wait to see you sew them up!
Stuff to read:
We are always hunting out good article to read or a book that you can either read or listen to while you are sewing. We’ve got four fantastic things to get your teeth stuck into this month.
- Robotic fabric that stiffens and relaxes in response to changes in temperature
- The Dressmakers Gift – Book based around three seamstresses in World War II in Paris
Stuff to Watch:
If you like watching TV while you sew then we’ve got some great suggestions for you. This month we has swooned over the fantastic BBC series called Love life. Set in New York it follows the story of a girls romantic life over a few years. It’s fantastic.. you’ll love it too!
- Rebecca – Based on the Daphne Du Maurier book on Netflix. It’s got fantastic costumes and set in the 40s… it’s fab.
- The Queens Gambit – Netflix. Set in the 50s, it’s a tail of an orphan who becomes a chess whizz. Again, fantastic costumes!
- The Crown – this need no introduction but the new series is out on the 15th November – HURRAH!
Stuff to listen to:
Oh we love a podcast, and are always looking for new ones! These are some fantastic things we have listened to this month and think you’ll love too.
- The French and Saunders Podcast on Audible
- The Waterstones Podcast – perfect if you are looking for a new book to read
- Nice White Parents Podcast – bought to you by the New York Times and Serial, about the schooling system in America.
- You’re wrong about Podcast – Mike and Sarah are journalists obsessed with the past. Every week they reconsider a person or event that’s been miscast in the public imagination.
- If you love the Queen’s Gambit and the Crown then check out this amazing website that Netflix have created to talk you through some of the costumes featured in the programmes. It’s fully interactive and well worth checking out.
- The Table subscription from Selkie Patterns – if you are looking for something to get involved over the coming months, this covers all things sewing. Go check it out!