The Sew Down – October
Welcome to The Sew Down where each month we bring you a run down of some of the interesting stuff we have found, bought, read and watched in the world of sewing. If you’re looking for something to watch or listen to while you sew then this vlog is for you..
We are delighted to welcome Makyla Creates to the site this month. Based in New Zealand they create fantastic wearable patterns and are definitely one to watch. Currently there are three designs but we look forward to seeing what they have up their sleeve next! The Pattern Preacher is the other new designer we have on the site. This UK based pattern company currently have six patterns on offer. If Tilly and Sew Over It had a love child I feel this would be it!
Stuff to read:
We are always hunting out good article to read or a book that you can either read or listen to while you are sewing. We’ve got four fantastic things to get your teeth stuck into this month.
- Women’s only tailor on Savile Row
- Celebrity Coats in pictures
- The Wild Silence by Raynor Winn – if you’ve read The Salt Path then this is the sequel. I’m a third of the way through but it’s really wonderful.
Stuff to Watch:
If you like watching TV while you sew then we’ve got some great suggestions for you. This month we have devoured ‘get organised the home edit‘ on Netflix. If you are into organising then this programme is for you. Wonder if we could persuade them to come and do our sewing rooms!?
- Us – BBC I Player – based on the David Nicholls book about a family’s last holiday before the son heads off to university .
- The Social Dilemma – Netflix – a documentary on how social media impacts us and our behaviour.
- The Shipman Files – BBC I Player – find out about some of the victims of Harold Shipman murdering spree that spanned 30 years.
Stuff to listen to:
Oh we love a podcast, and are always looking for new ones! These are some fantastic things we have listened to this month and think you’ll love too.
- Shirring has become really popular in the sewing community and this week Closet Core patterns released a fantastic tutorial so you can add it to anything. There is also a fantastic tutorial saved on By Hand London Instagram stories too. If you are looking for some shirring inspiration for your handmade wardrobe we have three fantastic options for you:
- The Sofia Dress from Victory Patterns
- Dayo Dress from Masin
- Phoebe Top from Pattern Union
Also check out: