This week we found out that the next series of the Great British Sewing Bee will air on 5th May, we can’t wait! This month’s LOOK BOOK is on menswear, so go and check out our pan picked selection of mens patterns paired with our favourite fabrics. We also have a competition to win two Merchant & Mills paper patterns, find out more here. In the Forum this week there has been chat about grading baby patterns.
Melanie blogs at Melanie Sews … where she regularly blogs about her dressmaking projects. Melanie has been sewing since she was at school and comes from a creative family. Read Melanie’s latest make on sewing a Burda 6695 top. Follow Melanie on The Fold Line @melsvalentine.
- Karen at Did You Make That? posts Are you really sewing? @didyoumakethat
- Charlotte of English Girl at Home posts British and Icelandic Karusellen hat. @english-girl-at-home
- Winnie at Scruffy Badger Time makes a circle skirt and Orla top in chiffon. Read more reviews of the Orla top here. @scruffybadger
- Tilly from Tilly and the Buttons posts Fun with freestyle machine embroidery.
- Jane from Handmade Jane makes a seven fold tie. @handmadejane
- Rachel at House of Pinheiro makes an Off the shoulder blouse. @houseofpinheiro
- Zoe at ‘So, Zo …’ makes the next in the series of Five genuinely useful new baby makes: #3 Drawstring bag. @sozoblog
- Katie at What Katie Sews makes a Memphis Moneta dress by Colette. Read more reviews of the Moneta dress here.
- Portia at Makery takes part in the Big vintage sew-along, giving the Vogue 9082 a modern look.
- Elena at Randomly Happy posts Planning a Spring wardrobe. @randomly_happy
- Marie at A Stitching Odyssey pays tribute to her maternal grandfather. @a-stitching-odyssey
- Heather at Closet Case Files posts Made // Stowe bags by Grainline Studio & fringe supply co.
- The Colette blog posts What me made Vol. 8, Choosing fabrics for the Zinnia skirt and Weekend reading.
- Christine Haynes posts her Favourite 20 beginner sewing patterns.
- Jen at Grainline Studio posts Design details: graphic line drawing, Grainline Crew: Lexi and Sew & Tell – Kristi of Sweetkm.
- Megan at Megan Nielsen posts How to sew leather appliqués to a t-shirt.
- Gretchen at Gertie’s Blog for Better Sewing makes a Chambray bow day dress.
- Sewaholic posts How to draft a swing tee.
- Mary at Idle Fancy posts Miss Iris checks it out: McCalls’s 7351 + Spring canvas blog tour.
- Rochelle at Lucky Lucille posts Things i’ve learned: Sewing with knits.
- Jennifer Lauren Vintage makes a Bronte top.
- Lauren at Lladybird posts In progress: Corduroy mini skirt.
- NEW: Blogtacular 010: Lara Watson
- Seamwork Radio 08: Opening up with Jennifer Wiese
- While She Naps #68: Heather Lou
- NEW: Sew Over It vlog: March pattern and fabric haul
- Reyna Lay Designs #21 Matthew Miller of Sunflowerman
- NEW: Modern Sewciety #089 Vanessa of V and Co.
- NEW: Elise gets Crafty #91 On jumping into wholesale selling.
- CRAFT-ish is a brand new podcast starting soon, get a taster for what’s coming here.
NEW: Sew DIY – Nita wrap skirt
Grainline Studios – Driftless cardigan
Decades of style – 1940s Girl Friday Blouse (now in PDF)
‘Til the Sun Goes Down – Lana Teadress
Sew Over It – Susie Blouse
Hot Patterns – Athleisure Layer Cake T
- Girl Charlee are having a sale with 60% off fabrics.
- Draper’s Daughter are celebrating the start of British Summer Time this weekend taking 20% OFF all their sewing patterns to kickstart those summer sewing projects. Simply use the code: SPRING20 at the checkout until the end of Monday 28th March to take advantage of this offer.
- Sew Over It have 25% off their online Grace Dress class, 20% off all patterns and 50% off India kits.
- Cloth & Candy now stock a new canvas collection.
- Fabric Punk have new spring stock including fabrics from Shannon Fabrics and Michael Miller (discount in March).
- Annie at The Village Haberdashery posts a Plush rainbow ribbon toy tutorial and new stock: black and white Cotton & Steel, Flying colours by Momo, Twist colours from Dashwood Studio plus March baby quilt club bundle.
- Earn double plush points at Plush Addict this weekend.
- At MIY Collection Wendy announces that if you sign up to her newsletter you will receive a free guide to buying knit fabrics.
- Grace at Beyond Measure announces she will be at the Leeds Wool Festival this year on 4th June.
- Eclectic Maker are having an Easter Janome sewing machine sale.
- Dragonfly fabrics are now stocking Tilly’s new Dominique skirt pattern and have matched it with fabric choices.
- FabricHQ have six new Dashwood’s Twist fabric colours and In Theory Barkcloths.
- Elephant in My Handbag have added loads of bolt ends to their site.
- At The Sewing Directory, Julie and Fiona post tutorials on ribbon roses embroidery techniques, dealing with thread tension issues and hand embroidery tips.
- Bloomsbury Square Fabrics have added new stock to their wool and tweed collections.
- Sew Squirrel would like to know what new pre-finished foam padding colours you like.
Check out our Social Calendar for the latest sewing meet-ups, textile and fashion exhibitions and craft fairs.
Sew Brit Bag Camp, Uttoxeter, 18th – 21st March.
The Great Tapestry of Scotland exhibition, Dundee, 19th March – 1st May.
Sewing for Pleasure, NEC, Birmingham, 17th – 20th March.
Quinary, Bath, 29th March – 9th April.
Tag events or blogs you’ve discovered this week with #sewreporter
- Gertie’s Ultimate Dress Book: A Modern Guide to Sewing Fabulous Vintage Styles by Gretchen Hirsch. 8th March.
- Sunday sews by Theresa Gonzalez. 22nd March.
- Sewing with knits and stretch fabrics by Sharon Czachor. 24th March.
- Striking strip quilts by Kate Henderson. 28th March.
- Pattern making with Stretch Knit Fabrics by Julie Cole. 7th April.
- The Art of Couture Sewing by Zoya Nudelman. 21st April.
- Knit tops for kids by Muriel Agator. 30th April.
- Sewing Happiness by Sanae Ishida. 7th May.
- Simply Tailoring & Alterations by J. Francois-Campbell. 7th May.
- Ultimate Sewing Bible by Marie Clayton. 12th May.
- Sew Happy by Karin Ziegler. 17th May.
- Moda All-stars scraps made simple by Lissa Alexander. 17th May.
- By the bundle by Emma Jean Jensen. 31st May.
- Favourite Fabric bowls, boxes and vases by Linda Johansen. 31st May.